• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So Microsoft have done it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
    The case was that MS has not disclosed enough information about Windows internals making Sun's product less , less , less... capable of working correctly on Windows.
    Microsoft is not obliged to tell anyone anything about internals - if you think there is some secret API then hire good engineers with debuggers who will uncover it and publish the results. If Microsoft's own tools use this API then you can easily intercept it.

Comment

If you have missed , Sun a couple of years ago had a successful case against Microosft. The case was that MS has not disclosed enough information about Windows internals making Sun's product less , less , less... capable of working correctly on Windows.
      The lawsuit had nothing to do with Windows internals. It was a trademark infringement lawsuit - Microsoft claimed that their implementation was Java-compatible while it was not (I think some features like JNI or RMI were missing in Microsoft's Java).

Comment

After the Microsoft antitrust case found that Microsoft held and had abused monopoly power, AOL filed suit against it for damages.[9] This suit was settled in May 2003 when Microsoft paid US $750 million to AOL and agreed to share some technologies, including granting AOL a license to use and distribute Internet Explorer royalty-free for seven years.[10][11] This was considered to be the death knell for Netscape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netscape

Comment

What does that have to do with Sun?

In any case, a bundled product has more value for the consumer - in most other industries bundling is a common and natural practice, why should software be different?

Comment

Originally posted by bored View Post
            What does that have to do with Sun?

In any case, a bundled product has more value for the consumer - in most other industries bundling is a common and natural practice, why should software be different?
            Sun / AOL were sort of partners on this one, i think.

Most other industries , my friend , don't have the phemomena Microsoft , so you cannot compare. To be honest I don't know if this monopoly is for good or bad.

Comment

Sun / AOL were sort of partners on this one, i think.
              I think not - there are no good links between AOL and Sun, they are totallly different markets/companies. The sidelink was when AOL sold Netscape line of webservers to Sun.

Comment

Alright , you are right, I am not very fond of MS u know..

Comment

Working...
                X