• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charidee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I consider the extortionate tax I pay to be giving to charidee

A contractor
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

yup 3 different ones. only to the tune of less than an hour's work though so I'm not that altruistic.
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        I'm not that altruistic.
        Does anyone give to charity for reasons of altruism?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Does anyone give to charity for reasons of altruism?
          Does anyone give to charity for reasons other than altruism?
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

If it makes you feel good...

I personally wouldn't give a penny of my hard earned cash to any NATIONAL charity. I might have given to a LOCAL charity (hospital fund etc) that I have come across but wouldn't certainly give to any that employ (yes, employ) those monkeys out on the streets to harass people (SCOPE was out in town today).
            Admin costs (salaries, rents, marketing) must be running at about 50% of the total receipt for most, something approaching 90% for some. It's like buying charity cards, overpriced and only 10% goes to the charity.
            Now, has anyone watched the 'Secret Millionaire' - I was moved by the 2 people that went round Canning Town (London) and Stretford (Manchester) and found long-suffering poor white families and gave the money to them directly and to their sport/social centres etc that didn't get a penny from the Lottery Fund.
            Similarly, black and Asian guys went round to their communities and helped them. That's real charity, seeing the money going to the people that need them and seeing the look and smile on their faces.
            I reckon most that give to charities because they make you feel guilty.

Comment

Actually the only charity I give to is The Royal British Legion

In Flanders' fields the poppies blow
              Between the crosses, row on row,
              That mark our place: and in the sky
              The larks, still bravely singing, fly
              Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
              We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
              Loved and were loved, and now we lie
              In Flanders' fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe;
              To you from failing hands we throw
              The torch; be yours to hold it high,
              If ye break faith with us who die
              We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
              In Flanders' Fields.
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
                I reckon most that give to charities because they make you feel guilty.
                I agree - these are charities that I specifically avoid because I resent such low tactics. Happy to tell them that too if they try it on.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Ditto

Good man Troll
                  Last edited by Dow Jones; 14 December 2007, 12:55. Reason: add Troll

Comment

A bit of lateral thinking could help.

Charity #1 has too many dogs and cats.

Charity #2 has too many starving kids in Africa...

See where I'm going with this?

Comment

It depends...

Some might prefer Charity 1 because they love cuddly animals.
                      Look at Hempsley (whatever). The old bag left all her millions of dollars to her dog.

Comment

Working...
                      X