• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Murder Vs 160k from an insurance company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miffy View Post
    Agreed.

I'm surprised nobody else has done this, or have they?

John Stonehouse (a former UK government minister) tried doing this in 1974, faking drowning a la Reggie Perrin, but he was less successful as his "disappearance" only lasted from November 20th to December 24th.
    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Fascinating indeed

Like most here, I can't wait to find out more about it. So far the wife has been charged with deception to obtain 2 payments from the insurance (we hear 10 years or so for that) and the husband with fraudulantly obtaining a new passport (in the name of John Jones - FFS!). Now given the fact that there are more false passports in the UK than real ones (ask any asylum seeker to point you to a factory), that should be 6 moths or so - if that. It seems that the wife will be by far worse off - for something that she may not have even instigated.
      PS - Should the Passport Office be liable if they issue a passport without proper checks as well as the holder?

Comment

Why do you want to hear more about it? It's hardly the fraud of the century.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Hardly worth it financially...

I agree... it's just how easy it were to do it by two complete amateurs - and what would have happened had he not turned up.
          £ 160k LI is peanuts - tempting for >= £ 1m though...

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
            £ 160k LI is peanuts - tempting for >= £ 1m though...
            As I said in the other thread - you are a security risk to any bank. Please tell me that you do not work for Lloyds TSB.

Comment

AtW = A tW(at)

Didn't I tell you to F-off?

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
                Didn't I tell you to F-off?
                You are also very rude - I did not tell you that before because I am a nice person. Are you sure you work for a bank? It really does not look this way. In fact I am pretty sure if your boss, whichever industry you in, checked your last few posts then you'd be rather embarassed, wouldn't you? I also wonder how would your boss react to reading your self-reported status of "IT Genius"?
                Last edited by AtW; 12 December 2007, 13:38.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  You are also very rude - I did not tell you that before because I am a nice person. Are you sure you work for a bank? It really does not look this way. In fact I am pretty sure if your boss, whichever industry you in, checked your last few posts then you'd be rather embarassed, wouldn't you? I also wonder how would your boss react to reading your self-reported status of "IT genious"?
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                    shush! I did not say I have perfect English, I just said I am a nice person (generally)

Comment

Get a spellchecker mate!

Didn't you say you applied for an MBA at Harvard and Stanford?
                      You forgot MIT, maybe they'll take you (as a cleaner)

Over and out on this too.

Comment

Working...
                      X