• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wunderboom - German exports surge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever excuses are made the fact is that in the sixties and seventies both management and workers got complacent and lazy and let things drift. That combined with the semi-religious ideology of the free-market in the 80s and the results were the wholesale destruction of manufacturing industry.
    It's instructive that the French managed to save Renault, which had many of the same labour problems. It seems every single country has a national long-term strategy except the UK.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Whatever excuses are made the fact is that in the sixties and seventies both management and workers got complacent and lazy and let things drift. That combined with the semi-religious ideology of the free-market in the 80s and the results were the wholesale destruction of manufacturing industry.
      It's instructive that the French managed to save Renault, which had many of the same labour problems. It seems every single country has a national long-term strategy except the UK.
      Managed decline.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        And dodn't forget we're the second largest arms manufacturer in the world.
        Rubbish. UK has got very small army, do you think you make more arms than Russia, USA, China? I think not. What you have are pretty expensive airplanes sold to arabs who do this in exchange for bribes. Would you have sold this stuff to them if you did not pay bribes? I doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Rubbish. UK has got very small army, do you think you make more arms than Russia, USA, China? I think not. What you have are pretty expensive airplanes sold to arabs who do this in exchange for bribes. Would you have sold this stuff to them if you did not pay bribes? I doubt.
          Now we know where the Marshall Plan money went:

Income:

1 x plane = £1m

Expenditure:

1 x cost of production = £0.9m
          1 x bribe = £0.2m

Result = -£0.1m

Genius!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            The point that British PMs seem to have lost on is that good things that you only make in your country and don't give technology to others will be desired and will sell. Germans will never sell Mercedes to Indians, Chinese etc, they have pride not to do it and frankly the way they won't they will never even be in this position, yet in the UK iconic car brands are on a cheap fire sale from time to time - and this happens in country that started industrial revolution!
            Aston Martin is British again, so I have to deem your tirade worthy, but moot.

Comment

Doomed.

Comment

Working...
              X