• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HELP - Agent has put me in a job overseas with no interview, and my skills don´t fit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven’t used these products but is there an execution plan, and if so is it built some time before execution, or just prior? I’m wondering whether an execution plan might be different (carp) if run against small test datasets rather than a huge live one. That is, the order the joins are done might affect performance significantly, and I don’t recall a method of forcing the issue in SQL.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
      There are but they don't like you mentioning it as it is something of a goldmine for them.
      Nonsense. Besides, what he should be doing is rewriting it all in .Net. It's the future.

Comment

Well I survived the short contract. Client now talking about possibly asking me back in the new year, but nothing definite.

What I did was to get on to rentacoder.com and post my problems there. I got a reply from a UK-based experienced SQL Server DBA, and he spent a couple of hours on the skype phone in the evening at the client going through and sorting the problems. Only 25 quid and hour he charged - he was trying to operate a business for multiple clients to escape IR35, so a win-win situation all round it seems.

Of course the way I played it with the client was that I was part of a consultancy, and "the service we offer you consists of input from me and our other experienced consultants"...

Comment

Well played. But time to bone up on it yourself now, don't you think
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
            Well I survived the short contract. Client now talking about possibly asking me back in the new year, but nothing definite.

Sorted.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post

What I did was to get on to rentacoder.com and post my problems there. I got a reply from a UK-based experienced SQL Server DBA, and he spent a couple of hours on the skype phone in the evening at the client going through and sorting the problems. Only 25 quid and hour he charged - he was trying to operate a business for multiple clients to escape IR35, so a win-win situation all round it seems.

Of course the way I played it with the client was that I was part of a consultancy, and "the service we offer you consists of input from me and our other experienced consultants"...
              Well done! I suggest now you invest in a SAP Basis course. You've got the experience - so it's a good time to get the training.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

So what was the answer?
                Last edited by TimberWolf; 14 December 2007, 10:09. Reason: Grammer poor was

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Well done! I suggest now you invest in a SAP Basis course. You've got the experience - so it's a good time to get the training.
                  Well hmm I guess that SAP pays better than SQL, but two weeks experience, when I was working on the SQL Server not the SAP bit of it - would that count as "experience" as far as clients were concerned?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    So what the answer?
                    Quite prosaic really. The 9-table query that was taking 90 seconds to run was actually using a bad execution plan. I ran dbcc indexdefrag first - no fix. Then I ran dbcc dbreindex- no fix.
                    Finally I ran alter index all on <tablename> rebuild with (ONLINE = ON)
                    This query ran and ran, and I eventually had to manually kill it. But half way through I ran the original query, and it took only 4 seconds to run, with a radically different query plan.

The tempdb never filled up during the time I was there - so a SAP index error they had received, that I got them to resolve, must have been the problem.

As for the third problem, not resolved yet, but I'm writing them a script for reindexing (on more than 1000 tables - eek!), and if that doesn't work, will suggest more drives in the data drive SAN to increase disk io.

Comment

Well done.

How is your pimping going?

Comment

Working...
                      X