• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do useless people design houses?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do useless people design houses?

Had a look round at some local new builds. Seeing what I can get get when the market goes tits up next year.

Is it me or have all current houses been designed by muppets.

So far I can tell current trends are:

* Sticking lounge & dining room on ground floor and lounge on second...wtf? Handy for a brew when you are watching corrie.

* Putting bedrooms (sorry Study) on the ground floor, but still calling it a bedroom.

* Putting WCs on each floor, making the 3 "shower" rooms useless as opposed to just making a decent sized bathroom in the first place.

* Fitted wardrobes - Never a good idea...why even ******* bother.

At least what i can get for my money is going up. There is a definite downward trend of house prices round here.

Large David Wilson development near where I live they have changed the plan and 50 of the 3 story houses they were building are getting changed to 2 stories because no bugger is buying them.

They've also knocked about £30,000 off the price and they still ain't shifting.

Time to collect a war chest Sasguru style.

Why build decent houses when people are desperate to buy any old crap? At least they were.

I've had a few looks at what's available. Suddenly realising that I may have to do something about buying, once the crash happens.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Buy old, my place is 250 years old and will still be here 250 years hence I suspect.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Well I either want to go really old or really new.

Not decided which way yet either.

Comment

Yeah, I looked at new before I moved here but 3 foot thick walls just aren't in vogue these days. No arrow slits unfortunately although there are plenty of vantage points to loose the hot oil.

In all seriousness, aside from the poor design the build quality leaves something to be desired to say the least. Haven't builders heard of soundproofing?
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Yes, why is it many useless people get into such positions? I find it a real puzzle.

They've built a load of new houses near the local village. Right on top of a spring dating back to antiquity.

A day or so after a particular rainstorm they flooded, and nearly everyone was surprised.

Totally dim if you ask me.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

We're looking for some land to build our own as we can't get what we want either.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                We're looking for some land to build our own as we can't get what we want either.
                Didn't they tell you..you cant have it. Its all been designated as space for my warehouses.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                  Well I either want to go really old or really new.

Not decided which way yet either.
                  My previous house was new build...never again!!

I cannot see how such houses will still be here in 25 years time -almost engineered to be replaced (is that the plan?)

If you want something more substantial go for older properties
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

They build what the average punters want ie. what they can sell. Theoretically any new build will have to comply with current building regs and hence should be better built than most old houses. In practice they do cut corners and get away with it. If you are buying a completed newbuild and defo want it I would say it is worth paying for a builder or pro 'snagger' to go round and knock up a list of defects. Old houses often look nice but there will often be lots of nasties lurking beneath the surface so beware !

Comment

Working...
                    X