• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas Board Game

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reiner Knizia
    He's a cracking games designer and has done many good games. (To those who don't know, he's like the David Attenborough of the Board Game Fraternity).

I met him once at Manchester Gencon some years ago.

He was showcasing a live game.

The concept was 5 teams of 3 players each are trying to win a movie Oscar.

You get given a card depicting a theme (comedy, suspense, etc) and a major item to use (rope, candle, stick, etc) and a place (eg, castle, train station, forest, etc).

There were several large chests on the stage, where you could pilfer props and costumes.

You then get 15 mins to design a play and then present it to the audience.

The other teams do the same, and the most votes wins.

Ours was comedy, using rope in a forest.

So we hatched our play. We were the last group.

Mrs BGG was in a red robe (little red riding hood), carrying a basket, picking flowers.
    Me and another chap were dressed up as 2 werewolves (we found the masks in a chest next to the stage).

We followed the innocent Red Riding Hood through the forest, then confronted her with much snarling and howling.

Red Riding Hood gasped with fear, and stepped back, swirled open her robe and threw a comedy string of sausages at the floor. We immediately wolfed them down, then rolled over howling. (they were poisoned)

Red Riding Hood then produced 2 lengths of rope and collared us both.

She then kicked us both awake and we immediately got up (on hands and knees) playing the docile wolfies.

She turned to the audience and then said something like "Sometimes the truth is more shocking than the fairy tale..." at which point she seductively walked behind the stage curtain, leading us as well, and said "BITE ME".

The audience couldn't see what was going on, but I think the adults (who were 99% of the audience) got the adult-theme. (That being that Red riding Hood was innocent, until she took control, then became a dominatrix)

The previous groups had been a bit tame, so our act was definitely the most outrageous and won the audience vote.

I seem to recall Reiner Knizia looking at us 3 as we made our way up to collect our Oscar. He wasn't smiling and I think he was looking a bit horried that we had turned his game in to a soft-core horror pic.

Still, the audience liked it (a lot of the mob were VtM LARP'ers and they appreciated the sentiments) so we just played to the audience..and it worked.

Dunno if Reiner ever released the game in the end...
    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 27 November 2007, 17:41.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

BGG,

I can't read one of your posts without a mental image of Richmond the Goth from The IT Crowd.

Richmond Avenal: A Goth whose new-found love for the black-metal band Cradle of Filth instigates his downfall from being Denholm's second-in-command.

He works in the server room behind "the Red Door" all on his own, shunned by the rest of the department, who find his affected sense of gloom infectious, even though he personally describes himself as "cheerful".

The episode introducing Richmond and Jen's discovery of him is something of a parody of the Tim Burton film, Edward Scissorhands. Richmond's manner of speaking to others is reminiscent of famed horror actor Boris Karloff, although when Richmond is on his own he speaks in a voice somewhat closer to Fielding's own. When Richmond tells stories, he tends to pause and look off into space dramatically, puzzling those around him. Richmond often conducts himself in a manner that non-gothic people may consider 'gay'.

He is shown to read Heat, moments after a comment Roy had made that he did not know any heterosexual men who read Heat. However, in the 4th episode of Series 2, "The Dinner Party", he attends Jen's dinner party and is alluded to having sex several times with one of her female guests.

go on, admit it, it's you isn't it?

Comment

Not strictly a board game, more of an amalgamation of pictionary, TP and that play-dough one with a bit of charades thrown in, Cranium is our favourite at the mo.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Not strictly a board game, more of an amalgamation of pictionary, TP and that play-dough one with a bit of charades thrown in, Cranium is our favourite at the mo.
          It's as much a board game as Pictionary or Rapidough is - you still have to move a piece around the board.

And it's got enough of a mixture to entertain most groups.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

g
            o on, admit it, it's you isn't it?
            Lol ! Sounds an interesting guy whoever he is.

Alas, no, not me guvnor.

Though I do admit to liking some of the Filth's tracks

Cradle of Filth is a heavy metal band formed in Suffolk, England in 1991. It has been embraced and disowned with equal fervour by various metal communities, and its particular subgenre has provoked a great deal of discussion. The band's sound evolved from black metal to a cleaner and more "produced" amalgam of gothic metal, symphonic black metal and other extreme metal styles, while its lyrical themes and imagery are heavily influenced by gothic literature, poetry, mythology and horror films.
            I used to be of the "don't like them" crowd a few years ago, but I heard a few recent tracks and thought hmm, not bad.

My favourite is Cradle of Filth : Temptation (originally by Heaven 17 !)
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
            X