• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British productivity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    All applicances now come with plugs on them so why would you need to learn to wire them?
    Well let’s just hope you never have to then, it's that sort of attitude that leads to complete lack of knowledge on things that were just common sense only a decade ago, in few years time people will be getting a man in to change the batteries in their sky remote.

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
    An isolation switch actually protects the electrical circuit, and purportedly saves about 44% on energy costs.
    How does having an extra switch save on energy costs? I have an isolation switch for my oven, it makes no difference as my oven doesn't have a standby mode.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

By switching off the appliance.

This assumes you leave it off 44% of the time.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        By switching off the appliance.

This assumes you leave it off 44% of the time.

HTH
        Ah I see, I must remember to switch the freezer off before I go to bed.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          Well let’s just hope you never have to then, it's that sort of attitude that leads to complete lack of knowledge on things that were just common sense only a decade ago, in few years time people will be getting a man in to change the batteries in their sky remote.

I've been able to change plugs since I was about 11 and was taught how to. I am still old enough to remember applicances like kettles and irons being brought without plugs on them and having to put the plug on them myself as my parents used the excuse they were long sighted and couldn't see to get me to do it.

I was just pointing out that if a skill is little used i.e. changing a plug then people will not be taught how to do it.

BTW with all sold light bulbs being energy efficient ones from 2011 soon kids will not be able to change a light bulb.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            BTW with all sold light bulbs being energy efficient ones from 2011 soon kids will not be able to change a light bulb.
            Why? Do the energy efficient ones not need changing ever?

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba View Post
              Why? Do the energy efficient ones not need changing ever?
              They apparently last 5 to 8 years.

I have not had mine that long to see if it's true.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I agree with one of the previous people.
                You went wrong when you bought one from Curry's.
                Try John Lewis next time. It might cost more but boy is it worth it and the installation service is first class.

Comment

Originally posted by s2budd View Post
                  I agree with one of the previous people.
                  You went wrong when you bought one from Curry's.
                  Try John Lewis next time. It might cost more but boy is it worth it and the installation service is first class.
                  I thought John Lewis were never knowingly undersold?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    In an instant, he said, "No. Health and Safety."
                    SKY were fixing a problem with my parents satellite dish the other day, but I arrived there too late to see what the workman had already done in the name of health and safety. He’d drilled a (approx 15mm) hole in the side of the garage wall into which he screwed a bolt to which he secured his ladder. It was a very modest height and OTT IMO.

Comment

We are after getting the loft converted. I arranged appointments with 4 builders for quotes on Wednesday and only 1 turned up. How's that for productivity?
                      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Working...
                      X