• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Serious question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I think is being asked here is our perception of government versus a group's ability to govern.

This group's in-competencies certainly get a lot of media attention these days, no doubt in part to new technology, but I think not exclusively.

These days I've never been more aware the government's mistakes but then I cannot really say I was ever aware of similar government errors with pervious parties. Nevertheless those that I have been made aware of bother me greatly yet the party in power would dismiss these errors as if they were unimportant, given the chance.

Are peoples expectations of government greater? I think so... with each day that passes

Are all of us here voters who vote? I think not... with each passing year statistics points to fewer people voting, why is that? Apathy?

I think we have a government trying to lead the people on what they believe they want, what they believe is right for them even if that means stripping away our civil liberties through ID schemes and the like.

Wendigo there all great valid questions, I would like an answer too. I think the problems we have today extend from deeper...

I want to know why I feel less British than I did 10 years ago, I want to know why the country has been allowed to become so overcrowded, I want someone on the top seat with authority who is not afraid to use it and sort out this dire situation.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 24 November 2007, 00:38.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

We are a more connected age, what with the media and the interweb thingy, so we are more informed on the machinations of the party politic.

More information (more input) allows for more cognitive process (output) and we feel we have more rights to express our output and voice criticism.

Just as importantly, we are more aware of the responsibility of others and how they influence our lives, to the extent that we realise that individuals who vote for party X which negatively affects us, are just as responsible as the politicians from party X.

In other words, those who have voted for Party X (Labour in this case), should be just as much held to account for the actions of Party X, as the politicians of party X.

Everything that Party X does is indirectly endorsed by Voter X, since they voted for them in the first place.

If voter X were to say "Hang on, I didn't realise they would do that", then they should vote for someone else instead.

I personally hold the war in Iraq responsible to the Labour government (and the US) and everytime I meet a Labour supporter, I look for the blood on their hands. They may bleat "but we disagree too", but I ask you this...you had a chance last election to remove them....did you ?

To not hold politicans and the people who vote for them to account is to admit slavery to the personal whims and oppressions of others.

Each X in the box of ANY political party is a nail in the coffin for your own personal freedom and liberty.

You want freedom and liberty ?

Then be prepared to fight for it.

Because it is not something handed to you on a plate from other people.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
      X