• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Incapacity Benefit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    They pay for the car out of the benefit as a lease hire. You have to qualify for a diability badge to get one. I don't think you can get one for depression,fatness, or spots, although I may be wrong
    Although you can get a disability badge at any decent car boot sale.

What we need is a national ID card scheme.

Comment

I have no problem with them weeding out all the scroungers out there who are fiddling the system and agree 100% with what the saggy old cloth cat said. However, as with everything this government does I suspect that what will happen is those who are clever enough to falsely claim this benefit will simply jump through the various hoops needed to continue this. Those who have genuine disabilities but who cannot find a job will be moved onto job seekers allowence and be made to struggle down to the job centre every couple of weeks.

I know when my son is of a working age he is going to find it hugely difficult to find a job. There are not many roles out there which you can easily do without being able to see. Under the new scheme all it needs is some pen pusher to think of a job he could do and that would be enough to take him off the incapacity benefit - that regardless of the fact that there may not be an employer willing to employ him. Employment levels for blind and visually impaired people are at about 25%.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

"They pay for the car out of the benefit as a lease hire. You have to qualify for a diability badge to get one. I don't think you can get one for depression,fatness, or spots, although I may be wrong"

Nope - My son has a blue badge but we don't qualify for the car scheme because in the words of the benefits person 'He is only blind'
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Tony, did you ever get that braille typewriter sorted out for your son?

Furthermore, did you explore making the provision of such your plan B?

Comment

No - not yet. Still trying to see how viable it is.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              No - not yet. Still trying to see how viable it is.
              Go for it, man, it's got to be a better plan B than marmalade.

Comment

My Plan Bee is Honey

I'll get my coat
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                  "They pay for the car out of the benefit as a lease hire. You have to qualify for a diability badge to get one. I don't think you can get one for depression,fatness, or spots, although I may be wrong"

Nope - My son has a blue badge but we don't qualify for the car scheme because in the words of the benefits person 'He is only blind'
                  Not allowing blind people to drive for free! That's discrimination!

(but maybe a bit safer for the public at large)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box View Post
                    Although you can get a disability badge at any decent car boot sale.

What we need is a national ID card scheme.
                    He he - so that they can be sold alongside the blue badges at the car boot sales no doubt

Comment

"Not allowing blind people to drive for free! That's discrimination!
                      (but maybe a bit safer for the public at large)"

The fact that he is only 10 might be an issue also.

What annoys me about motability is that some chav playing the system gets a new car every 3 years. My son has to be driven about because you can't really let him out on his own with a stick yet we are deemed ineligible for the scheme simply because seen as being not disabled enough.

The RNIB are campaining about this

http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups...laaug2006.hcsp
                      Last edited by BoredBloke; 19 November 2007, 15:36.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X