• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorbike Rider

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bledubd View Post
    Hie,
    I would like to commute to work using my motorbike, but I was wondering how I would do it seeing that I have put put a suit and tie in the office.
    Motorcyclists are known as "mobile kidney donors" in A&E depts
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by bledubd View Post
      Hie,
      I would like to commute to work using my motorbike, but I was wondering how I would do it seeing that I have put put a suit and tie in the office.

So is there any amongst you would do commute and if so how do you travel in to the office?

Thanks

p.s. I wouldn't mind any pointers on what to wear during this chilly weather.
      Hi bd

What motorbike do you have? Does it offer good protection from the weather? What kind of commuting are we talking about?

I use the motorbike all year round and I have been commuting in town or even going up and down motorways regularly. The secret is to have a range of motorbike clothes and overalls to suit every need and season as you don't want to be cold but also don't want to sweat when it gets warmer. When I am in town I use a waterproof jacket to wear on top of my suit jacket and waterproof overtrousers when it rains (like the ones you can buy at any outdoor shops, but make sure that they are 100% waterproof and breathable, with materials like Goretex). If on a motorway trip I use a proper fabric motorbike jacket (with protections and antiabrasive material) and either proper motorbike trousers or lined overtrousers on top of my suit trousers (make sure you get a big enough size to slip over the suit trousers without creasing them too much). If I need to, I put the suit jacket (or even the whole suit and shirt) in the top box and then get changed once I get to the client's office.

Re: chilly weather, have a look at the gerbing website (http://www.gerbing.eu/index.pl/motorcycle_uk). I bought a heated jacket (to go under the motorbike jacket) and it works a treat without costing you an arm and a leg, even when the temperature drops to negative values. I would strongly recommend to find a stockist and try the clothing on rather than ordering online. Heated grips are also very useful and not too expensive to fit. A balaklava or neck warmer are also a good thing to have. Feel free to PM me if you need more advice.

BI
      Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Commuting

Bi
        Thanks you have been very helpful.

Cheers
        We’re given little to no time for proper analysis and design, and, when we ask management about hiring professional testers and setting up a QA process—well, I’ve seen deer in my headlights look less stunned

-- The Career Programmer

sibantubanye

Comment

Waterproof trousers over your suit trousers. I have a cheap £25 pair that works well.
          Suit jacket in topbox or tank bag along with shoes and bowler hat.
          Umbrella strapped to seat.

I've commuted like that (sans bowler hat and umbrella) for 150 mile round trips for a contract in winter on a bike with no fairing (fairing is for pussies). There's nothing quite like turning off the motorway after running through mist at 110mph only to discover that wind chill has caused all the mist to freeze onto you and you look like Han Solo in his carbonite phase.

K

Comment

Originally posted by Keldin View Post
            Waterproof trousers over your suit trousers. I have a cheap £25 pair that works well.
            Suit jacket in topbox or tank bag along with shoes and bowler hat.
            Umbrella strapped to seat.

I've commuted like that (sans bowler hat and umbrella) for 150 mile round trips for a contract in winter on a bike with no fairing (fairing is for pussies). There's nothing quite like turning off the motorway after running through mist at 110mph only to discover that wind chill has caused all the mist to freeze onto you and you look like Han Solo in his carbonite phase.

K
            HAHA. I had a 2000 ZX(, and when I bought it I found that it suffered from a thing called carb icing. This made the bike cut out on the motorway when the carbs iced up. This was kinda awkward when in the fast lane in January on the M25...having to glide over to the hard shoulder...I never did get that fixed...
            "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

I never did get that fixed...
              Got it sold tho'!

Did you tell the sucker punter who bought it from you about the 'undocumented feature'?
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Got it sold tho'!

Did you tell the sucker punter who bought it from you about the 'undocumented feature'?
                No, I was driving to work one morning when a JCB pulled out of a small opening on the left. I went straight into it...both bike and myslef were well n truly fubar'd...

What made me laugh (much later) was that I had just had the bike serviced, put 2 new tyres on and a full tank of fuel. 20 mins later, the bike was a wreck and I was on my way to A&E...
                "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

ahh...

Well at least you got the insurance back on it (not for the servicing and tyres tho' obv...)

[memo to self: once in the hole, stop digging...]
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    ahh...

Well at least you got the insurance back on it (not for the servicing and tyres tho' obv...)

[memo to self: once in the hole, stop digging...]
                    Yeah, I got back exactly what I paid for it. My laptop was strapped on the back...so that was also pooped beyond repair...

Now, the missus says "it's a bike or me"...god, I would miss her though!!

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
                      Yeah, I got back exactly what I paid for it. My laptop was strapped on the back...so that was also pooped beyond repair...

Now, the missus says "it's a bike or me"...god, I would miss her though!!
                      well, that's an easy question to answer, then... when is your next ride (on the bike, not the missus....)?
                      Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Working...
                      X