• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AV on OS2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    IBM still deliver OS/2 as its the OS for the zSeries HMC (although thats going over to Linux as I speak.) There is a company here in Germany who have taken over OS/2 from IBM and are still actively developing for it and there is the open source OS/2 project.
    My understanding that the reason why IBM can't just make the OS/2 product Open Source, is large chunks of the code were developed by MS (and are shared with the long dead Win 3.0 code base) and MS would sue the pants off IBM if they tried it. Probably lots of MS patents in there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      What were your reasons for wanting NT 3.5?
      Proper multitasking, and not crashing all the time. Developing multimedia software on Win3.1 was often a case of having to reboot after each debug session, and Win95 wasn't a whole lot better. Things only really improved with NT. I actually ran NT3.51 with the NT4 alpha shell for a while - remember that?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
      X