• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors favorite gourmet food.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

darn, as usual I need to register before I get any info from the site

Comment

Peter was concerned when a gentile became a Christian. He saw a vision of a whole load of, to the Jew, unclean foods. God told him to eat. He said "no way, that's unclean". God said "Don't say that anything I've made clean is unclean". Peter saw that gentiles become Christian wasn't a problem, and saw no reason not to baptise the gentile, nor to not allow gentiles into the church, which was until then, an exclusively Jewish sect.

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
      As I thought, the way Christian ate was all human interpretation, it was not written in any book of God.
      Except that that way of eating is in the New Testament, which is viewed by many to be a book of God. I.e. eat what you like so long as it isn't bad for your health and doesn't offend others.

From a point of view of health, a Kosher or Halal or Hindu or Jedi diet may well be very good. But my understanding is that the Jewish/Muslim diets are based on certain foods being "clean" or "unclean", rather than health. That is, someone who eats pork is ceremonially unclean and cannot approach God. And therefore, if I don't eat pork I'm in some way better/more spiritual/more acceptable to God than you, you bacon sarnie guzzling little heathen.

The orthodox Christian interpretation (as seen in Acts according to what happened to Peter and in Paul's writings), is that since Jesus made all his followers "clean", they no longer had to worry about what they eat from a clean/unclean perspective. Jesus said you should be more concerned about what comes out of your mouth - what you say - than what comes in - what you eat.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

best easiest dish ever

this dish is easy to make, delcious to eat, not to heavy (so bedtime aerobics is still an option), best served with a chilled bottle of crisp white wine or 2 ;-)

Salmon with Thai Ginger Marinade
        served with Mango and Avocado Salad

Preparation time: 5-10 mins tops
        Cooking time: 10 mins

Fresh Salmon fillets x 2 - skin on or off doesnt matter

Marinade:
        2 tblspn Balsamic Vinegar
        1 tblspn Olive Oil
        2 tblspn Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce (asian section of supermarket)
        2cm thumb of Ginger skin/husk removed sliced

Salad:
        1 avocado
        1 pack of diced mango chunks (sold in sainburys)
        1 juicy orange
        1 spring onion (optional)
        1/2 iceberg lettuce or other crisp lettuce leaves

to prepare:
        1) Take marinade ingredients, mix in wide bowl
        2) place salmon fillets in bowl, cover in marinade
        3) place salmon in fridge until ready to cook
        4) put wine in fridge

to cook:

Salmon
        1) Heat small amount of oil in frying pan
        2) Take salmon from marinade, and cook skin side down (if it has skin)
        3) when half cooked (3 or 4 mins) turn over
        4) pour marinade over salmon, cook for 3 or 4 mins further
        5) once cooked, serve salmon, add s tblspn balsamic vinegar to deglaze pan, pour glaze over salmon

Salad
        5) peel and de-stone avocado, cut into inch wide cubes
        6) open pack of mango chunks (usually in inch wide cubes)
        7) slice spring onion
        8) rip in half a few leaves of lettuce
        8) add all salad to nice bowl, squeeze over juice from the orange

Serve salmon on plate, take salad bowl and tongs, enjoy

For dessert buy Haagen Daaz Vanilla Ice cream and Rasberry Cheesecake from supermarket.

Delicious food, lady is ALWAYS impressed, very little effort on your half

HTH

Chef

p.s sorry about the delay in replying, been a bit hectic recently
        Last edited by chef; 15 November 2007, 13:58.
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I know this recipe and it's very good. But be careful not to overcook the salmon. It should be almost raw in the middle. Of course this means you need to get it very fresh. I think 3-4 minutes per side is way overdoing it.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Peter was concerned when a gentile became a Christian. He saw a vision of a whole load of, to the Jew, unclean foods. God told him to eat. He said "no way, that's unclean". God said "Don't say that anything I've made clean is unclean". Peter saw that gentiles become Christian wasn't a problem, and saw no reason not to baptise the gentile, nor to not allow gentiles into the church, which was until then, an exclusively Jewish sect.

Except that that way of eating is in the New Testament, which is viewed by many to be a book of God. I.e. eat what you like so long as it isn't bad for your health and doesn't offend others.

From a point of view of health, a Kosher or Halal or Hindu or Jedi diet may well be very good. But my understanding is that the Jewish/Muslim diets are based on certain foods being "clean" or "unclean", rather than health. That is, someone who eats pork is ceremonially unclean and cannot approach God. And therefore, if I don't eat pork I'm in some way better/more spiritual/more acceptable to God than you, you bacon sarnie guzzling little heathen.

The orthodox Christian interpretation (as seen in Acts according to what happened to Peter and in Paul's writings), is that since Jesus made all his followers "clean", they no longer had to worry about what they eat from a clean/unclean perspective. Jesus said you should be more concerned about what comes out of your mouth - what you say - than what comes in - what you eat.

I see your point NotAllThere, but we’ll have to agree to differ, Paul/Peter and all are humans, they were not Prophets. Hence I am inclined to follow God’s law rather than followers interpretation.

Also there are other non-food related laws that has been repeated in both Torah and Koran e.g. using human images- not have a list of all repeated laws, but it would be interesting to compare the two.

Only one thing I wonder about, it’s the allowing/prohibition of Alcohol, from reading in some history articles, Alcohol was originally allowed in Islam, then gradually after Hijra ( immigrating from Mecca to Al-Medina) Alcohol was prohibited. Not sure if there is an actual verse in the Koran to prohibit Alcohol – again it was an interpretation, and something that was introduced to control the crowd.

BTW: Hinduism, Sikh, Buddhism are all philosophies – good philosophies but they were not inspired by God like Islam Christianity and Judaism.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              I know this recipe and it's very good. But be careful not to overcook the salmon. It should be almost raw in the middle. Of course this means you need to get it very fresh. I think 3-4 minutes per side is way overdoing it.
              many thanks for agreeing and good point, i LOVE salmon and always get large fillets

Comment

Chef - good recipe, how long do you leave the salmon in the marinade before you cook ( i.e. it doesn't require over night marinating?)

Comment

Chef - good recipe, how long do you leave the salmon in the marinade before you cook ( i.e. it doesn't require over night marinating?)
                  well, ideally overnight, if not as long as possible, i was thinking that the money money money was cooking this evening and so really as soon as he gets home..

when you pour the marinade over it and cook it adds flavour, its just better if you marinade it longer..

Comment

I see your point NotAllThere, but we’ll have to agree to differ, Paul/Peter and all are humans, they were not Prophets. Hence I am inclined to follow God’s law rather than followers interpretation.
                    There is no need to agree or disagree with me - I'm presenting my understanding of orthodox Christian positions. Not my personal beliefs. Paul and Peter, as far as Christians are concerned, wrote scripture, and were inspired by God to do so. Ergo, what they wrote are not followers' interpretations. Peter's vision, if taken at face value, was a message from God - not an idea that he had.

Only 4 books of the Bible contain much that is "the law". The remaining 62 books contain purported history, letters, prophecy, poetry and sayings. ( Catholics have more than 66 books in their bibles, but the extras are seen as to not be on the same footing as scripture - but useful for teaching ).

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                      well, ideally overnight, if not as long as possible, i was thinking that the money money money was cooking this evening and so really as soon as he gets home..

when you pour the marinade over it and cook it adds flavour, its just better if you marinade it longer..

Sounds lovely, forgot to mention that I'm not too keen on fish, but will give it a go as the only other replies I have received have been about Jews and Muslims!!!

Cheers
                      l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Comment

Working...
                      X