• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learning to drive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Dodgy, give BSM a ring, you're going to have to take the pain one way or another. At least with the pain in the wallet you keep your sanity.

Mark.
    Don't use BSM - they will keep saying you need lessons for ever - find a local one-man-band operation and take your kid out driving as often as you can.
    Get a cheap carppy car for them to practice in - less expense if they mash it.

You can also get copies of the test routes for your area - practice these too.
    My kid passed first time last year using this method.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      The thing to remember, the method of driving taught pre-license is an ideal.

It is ideally forgotten post-license.

Yeah watch Death Race 2000 for the apparent ideal way post test
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        Driving through Dublin though was the best lesson though, if you can navigate those streets with all the morons with no licences, you've got it made.
        My Uncle, God rest his soul, once received an award from the place he worked for in Dublin for driving 1 million miles without an accident. Mind you, there was a lot less traffic back then, but even so. Okay....carry on....
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
          I On Sunday while going round a 3 lane 90 degree bend a black-taxi driver in the third lane attempted to take a short-cut through the bit of the second lane I was occupying at the time, and I was completely unable to express my feelings, due to the fact that my horn is operated by two tiny buttons near the edge of steering wheel that are nowhere near my thumbs when I'm turning. (When going straight I can find the horn with my thumbs without taking my eyes off the road, if I were to look down and find the buttons and take one hand off the wheel to hoot it'd be a half-an-hour before I saw the road again.)

Actually that's the worst feature of my car; the horn is virtually impossible to locate, even when my hands are in the normal position.
          The Highway Code:
          The horn should be used to warn other road users that you are there - it should not be used as a rebuke

I also like the bit about hazzard lights

Hazzard lights should not be used an an excuse for illegal or poor parking

The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by MisterGoof View Post
            Don't use BSM - they will keep saying you need lessons for ever - find a local one-man-band operation and take your kid out driving as often as you can.
            Get a cheap carppy car for them to practice in - less expense if they mash it.

You can also get copies of the test routes for your area - practice these too.
            My kid passed first time last year using this method.

Good luck.
            You may be qualified to drive, are you qualified to teach?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Yeh, that feeding thing is utter carp. If racing drivers did that they would never get round the first bend.
              We cannot compare racing drivers with users of the public highway as like for like. They require different skills.

For example, racers take every corner at the maximum possible speed with back-wheel slides and everything - should we be taught that in our driving test?

Comment

You don't need to feed the wheel any more. You just need to show that you are in control of the car.

I didn't ever do it when I learnt in 1999.

Comment

Working...
                X