• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In memory of those who gave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    There were conscripted troops on all sides who died.

Remembrance day for me is remembering the sad loss of life during all wars.

Btw Diver, war isn't murder.
    Of course you are completely right Churchy.

Lets remember those poor men of the SS and those poor dedicated Germans who ran the concentration camps
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      Of course you are completely right Churchy.

Lets remember those poor men of the SS and those poor dedicated Germans who ran the concentration camps
      Come back when you've grown up. Then we'll have a discussion about people, who by accident of birth were on one side or another of a futile conflict that cost millions of lives worldwide.

Until then, keep spouting your emotional claptrap.

Comment

The allies did some pretty despicable things too, not least the Russians.

Comment

Tell you what, let's just remember the innocents that die in warfare.
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
            Tell you what, let's just remember the innocents that die in warfare.
            Agreed.

Comment

Agreed. And the guilty. But for a quirk of genetics, nurture and culture they were innocents too.

Comment

"I know the purpose, or the supposed purpose. It is a victory parade because only the British soldiers are remembered. It fulfils its purpose when, and only when, those on the other side are remembered as well."

Can't agree with that. The one I went to did not have any of the trappings of a victory parade. It was a sombre affair and quite moving when you see the last few of these people who defended our country. As has been mentioned by others it is a time to reflect and thank those who paid the ultimate price - under those circumstances you are hardly going to thank the opposing forces for giving them the chance to go to war and get killed.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I agree. I've never witnessed anything on remembrance day that resembles a victory parade.

That's VE and VJ days.

Comment

Surprised at you Bob.
                    VE and VJ days are victory celebrations and we did those earlier.

Many of the armistice day parades take place at tombs of soldiers, ours is an unknown. The naionality ofthe body is not known either. Our parade may be taking place over a Brit or a German. Nobody knows and it makes it that much more poingnant.

Armistice day is all about hoping that it never happens again.

Some of you are attaching meaning to it that does not exist either for those who take part or for those of us who observe.

Obviously our veterans are remembering their fallen comrades, but many veterans (particularly WW 1 & 2) are trying or have managed to reconcile their hatred of the enemy and have realised that the soldiers on the ground were doing their duty, possibly under duress, just as they were.

With true belief in armistice we work towards peace.

The last thing that this is about is glorifying war.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                      Surprised at you Bob.
                      VE and VJ days are victory celebrations and we did those earlier.

Many of the armistice day parades take place at tombs of soldiers, ours is an unknown. The naionality ofthe body is not known either. Our parade may be taking place over a Brit or a German. Nobody knows and it makes it that much more poingnant.

Armistice day is all about hoping that it never happens again.

Some of you are attaching meaning to it that does not exist either for those who take part or for those of us who observe.

Obviously our veterans are remembering their fallen comrades, but many veterans (particularly WW 1 & 2) are trying or have managed to reconcile their hatred of the enemy and have realised that the soldiers on the ground were doing their duty, possibly under duress, just as they were.

With true belief in armistice we work towards peace.

The last thing that this is about is glorifying war.
                      I couldn't put it better myself, and didn't.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X