• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In memory of those who gave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    So are you saying that we should not have gone to war against the Germans in WW2?
    I'd say that that is one war which we should have fought. Wars that shouldn't have been fought include:-

WW1 - As I understand it, prior to the war a network of alliances had been signed between nations in the belief that nobody would attack another country for fear of causing a world war. As France, Germany & Russia's war plans required on a rapid attack, rather than stand back and think of the consequences, when Austro-Hungary lit the fuse by threatening Serbia, a domino effect led rapidly to a world war. We entered the war as Germany's war plan relied on them invading Belgium whom we'd signed an alliance with.

Net result: To defend Belgium, we lost 2 million people and our pole position in the world. France's unreasonable armistice terms against Germany (who, after all, lost the most people in WW1) indirectly led to WW2.

Palestine, Malaya - Desire to maintain an outdated empire

Korea - Geopolitics and a wish to contain communism.

Suez - Desire to secure trade route

Iraq - Desire to secure oil

It's hardly a great moral record. We became a great country in the late 18th century by being the first country to industrialise (increasing our share of world trade from around 2% to 25% in the space of around 50 years). The expansion of the empire in the 2nd half of the 19th century was as a direct result of a decline in world trade caused by countries like Germany and the US industrialising and being better able to compete with us. The idea was that by having an empire we would then have a ready market for our goods and would be able to acquire natural resources that we could use to manufacture goods. It should be remembered that prior to the 1780s, countries like China and India had a far greater share of world trade than we did. A state of affairs which we are likely to return to very shortly.

What I'd like to take from Remembrance Day is that no country is better than another country. We all have our time in the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
      However, my Grandad, who is a WW2 vet was staunchly anti any celebration of the victory of the war - because that is how he, and I, view Armistice Day. It is a victory parade by any other name.
      It would be interesting to know how many other people misunderstand the purpose of Armistice Day as you do.

Comment

Originally posted by mace View Post
        I'd say that that is one war which we should have fought. Wars that shouldn't have been fought include:-

WW1 - As I understand it, prior to the war a network of alliances had been signed between nations in the belief that nobody would attack another country for fear of causing a world war. As France, Germany & Russia's war plans required on a rapid attack, rather than stand back and think of the consequences, when Austro-Hungary lit the fuse by threatening Serbia, a domino effect led rapidly to a world war. We entered the war as Germany's war plan relied on them invading Belgium whom we'd signed an alliance with.

Net result: To defend Belgium, we lost 2 million people and our pole position in the world. France's unreasonable armistice terms against Germany (who, after all, lost the most people in WW1) indirectly led to WW2.

Palestine, Malaya - Desire to maintain an outdated empire

Korea - Geopolitics and a wish to contain communism.

Suez - Desire to secure trade route

Iraq - Desire to secure oil

It's hardly a great moral record. We became a great country in the late 18th century by being the first country to industrialise (increasing our share of world trade from around 2% to 25% in the space of around 50 years). The expansion of the empire in the 2nd half of the 19th century was as a direct result of a decline in world trade caused by countries like Germany and the US industrialising and being better able to compete with us. The idea was that by having an empire we would then have a ready market for our goods and would be able to acquire natural resources that we could use to manufacture goods. It should be remembered that prior to the 1780s, countries like China and India had a far greater share of world trade than we did. A state of affairs which we are likely to return to very shortly.

What I'd like to take from Remembrance Day is that no country is better than another country. We all have our time in the sun.
        What a great back of a stamp analysis of English History, just a shame you felt a need to pad the mind boggling facts out with so much waffle.

Just as well your simpleton lack of understanding of contemporary complex politics was not entrusted with running anything important then. You take what you like out of remembrance Sunday but to most of us it was nothing to do with furthering the Orwellian notion that "all animals are equal", it was remembering how people died in order that people like you can say whatever you like.

The majority of those who acknowledge remembrance day have no need to worry about a guilty sense of having to feel "equal" with everyone else (perhaps you would care to explain what you mean by "equal"?)
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
          It would be interesting to know how many other people misunderstand the purpose of Armistice Day as you do.
          Like every other facet of our culture and history and success it is an easy target for the guilt ridden English (ooh sorry "British") pillock that reverberates through our government its precious state and the BBC.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
            I know the purpose, or the supposed purpose. It is a victory parade because only the British soldiers are remembered. It fulfils its purpose when, and only when, those on the other side are remembered as well.
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

I know the purpose, or the supposed purpose. It is a victory parade because only the British soldiers are remembered. It fulfils its purpose when, and only when, those on the other side are remembered as well.
              No I don't agree. The way I see it is that remembrance is to give thanks to the brave soldiers who gave their lives to our country. Although we might (theoretically) honour the Nazi soldiers who also died we can't thank them because they did nothing for us. Also the fact that they were trying to kill us does nothing to promote an atmosphere of thankfulness.

I don't see it as a victory parade at all. The one I went to was just plain sad. Bit like a funeral really. Which I suppose it was in a way.

Comment

It is a rememberence for those that defended us from an aggressor, those on the other side are remembered, as those that would have enslaved us had our young men not died protecting us.
                If your family was murdered by some bloke and the murderer died, would you hold a memorial service every year in honor of his memory.
                Get real
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                  It is a rememberence for those that defended us from an aggressor, those on the other side are remembered, as those that would have enslaved us had our young men not died protecting us.
                  If your family was murdered by some bloke and the murderer died, would you hold a memorial service every year in honor of his memory.
                  Get real
                  The murderers were the politicians. The soldiers on the ground were innocent vicitms - on both sides.
                  Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                    Get real
                    There were conscripted troops on all sides who died.

Remembrance day for me is remembering the sad loss of life during all wars.

Btw Diver, war isn't murder.

Comment

Point of fact:
                      Not only British soldiers are remembered - All of the Allied nations get to place a wreath at the Cenotaph.

The Germans don't commemorate their war dead on Nov 11th as it's the start of Karneval, but their equivalent is Volkstrauertag - you can look the rest up.
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X