• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In memory of those who gave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    It's quite revealing that dear old Tone, who never served in any service, got this country involved in more wars than any P.M. for the last 100 years.
    The man is a gurning idiot.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I didn't go to a remembrance day parade yesterday but I did see the one in London as broadcast by the BBC. I always observe the remembrance day ceremonies and I am diligent in buying a poppy. I was lucky to be able to visit a British Legion shop and speak with one of the attendants there instead of just picking one up from a box on the counter of a shop.

My father fought in WWII and luckily survived without physical injury (otherwise I wouldn't be here) and I consider myself considerably indebted to both the survivors and the fallen for their courage and endurance in the face of a danger I do not feel capable of facing myself.

Here's an idea that I have just had. Normally I just throw away my poppy after remembrance day (or armistice day, whichever comes last) but this year I intend to make the effort to visit a war memorial and add my poppy to those laid there during the ceremony.
      It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
        This is about remembrance of all who fell, not the specific heroics of a few.
        That was my point really - is it? The language is about pride, and bravery and nobility and people "giving" their lives, not about rememberance. I've no problem with paying respects to those who died, but what should be forefront in our minds is that those lives were wasted. We shouldn't feel pride, we should feel shame that our leaders (and I'm counting both sides) engaged in the wholesale slaughter of young men and that we let them.

I do sound like a peacenick.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Remembrance Day

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
          Shame on you Vectra. So conscripts aren't worthy of remembrance? Suppose you were hauled off to a war against your will and got killed by "random bad luck" - do we forget all about you and the family you leave behind?

This is about remembrance of all who fell, not the specific heroics of a few. By simply being there in the battlefield they were helping their side.

I believe that Remembrance Day is partly to remember those who died serving the country, and partly to remind us of the foolishness of war.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            That was my point really - is it? The language is about pride, and bravery and nobility and people "giving" their lives, not about rememberance. I've no problem with paying respects to those who died, but what should be forefront in our minds is that those lives were wasted. We shouldn't feel pride, we should feel shame that our leaders (and I'm counting both sides) engaged in the wholesale slaughter of young men and that we let them.

I do sound like a peacenick.
            So are you saying that we should not have gone to war against the Germans in WW2?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              So are you saying that we should not have gone to war against the Germans in WW2?
              There were some within the cabinet who argued that once France had fallen we should have sued for peace
              Also given the ultimate 55 million dead and our cities laid to waste was that a price worth paying for 5 miilion Poles?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                There were some within the cabinet who argued that once France had fallen we should have sued for peace
                Also given the ultimate 55 million dead and our cities laid to waste was that a price worth paying for 5 miilion Poles?
                Think how much a Plumber would cost now if we hadn't.

Comment

You really are an ignorant and stupid little cretin, aren't you?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Think how much a Plumber would cost now if we hadn't.
                    ...no Iron Curtain...no American dominance... no Israel,
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

...no Iron Curtain...no American dominance... no Israel,
                      No Britain....

Comment

Working...
                      X