• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In memory of those who gave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    ...no Iron Curtain...no American dominance... no Israel,
    I rest my case.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      You really are an ignorant and stupid little cretin, aren't you?
      eat tulip dickwad... and try and answer questions without resorting to insults...
      Last edited by Troll; 12 November 2007, 13:04.
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        No Britain....
        I thought he wanted to preserve the Empire

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          I thought he wanted to preserve the Empire

Ah I see you're just trolling. No one can be that thick.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Ah I see you're just trolling. No one can be that thick.
            I see you're still a dickwad

Comment

From what I see, the main point of Rememberance sunday should be to make sure we never end up in that situation again.

It seems to be a message which countries which have undergone occupation are a lot better at putting forward
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

I understand that the residents whose places were taken have a point about non-residents illegal parking, but on this day - of all days - couldn't some common-sense have taken precedence.
                Yes, apparently there were a lot of parking spaces available elsewhere (no doubt at a charge) and there was no guarantee that the parked vehicles belonged to people attending the ceremony but the ceremony should have taken only a short time and then all cars still there afterwards could still have been ticketed.

The article says that this took place "during the two-minute silence". Now I am not someone who insists that people are respectful of others but issuing tickets during a solemn ceremony is getting a bit low - even for traffic wardens.
                No doubt they are on patrol around the town on normal sundays looking for church services to target.
                It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  From what I see, the main point of Rememberance sunday should be to make sure we never end up in that situation again.

It seems to be a message which countries which have undergone occupation are a lot better at putting forward
                  Strangely enough, in Belgium though - one of those occupied countries - Armistice/Remembrance day, for most, appears to be simply just another bank holiday. Though there were some decent articles in the press explaining why lots of Brits come here at this time of year.

Antwerp apparently has something going on at the moment with pictures of people who were shipped off to Auschwitz. The only city which rounded up the Jews before the Germans even arrived apparently. So I guess that's also something to remember...

Edit: sorry, couldn't help having a dig at the Flemish.
                  Last edited by Joe Black; 12 November 2007, 21:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black View Post
                    Strangely enough, in Belgium though - one of those occupied countries - Armistice/Remembrance day, for most, appears to be simply just another bank holiday.
                    That's because Belgians don't fight in wars ... they host them.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      That was my point really - is it? The language is about pride, and bravery and nobility and people "giving" their lives, not about rememberance. I've no problem with paying respects to those who died, but what should be forefront in our minds is that those lives were wasted. We shouldn't feel pride, we should feel shame that our leaders (and I'm counting both sides) engaged in the wholesale slaughter of young men and that we let them.

I do sound like a peacenick.
                      Interesting that those that are so opposed to political correctness on the one hand, suddenly jump up and down when someone else has an opposing view regarding Armistice Day because it is "correct" to go with the majority viewpoint.

Personally I also think in the same manner as VectraMan. Yes I had family in the wars, as most English people did. However, my Grandad, who is a WW2 vet was staunchly anti any celebration of the victory of the war - because that is how he, and I, view Armistice Day. It is a victory parade by any other name.

The reason he had his view is because he was a POW for the last 2 years of the war and he got to know a lot of the German soldiers personally. Many of them became lifelong friends. Why? Because they were just like him. Ordinary soldiers doing their jobs. And that is why he found Armistice Day distasteful. He felt it disrespected his German friends who got killed in the war. And that is how I feel as well. There's nothing wrong with quiet reflection, but the way that Armistice Day is presented nowadays I think disrespects those who died on the other side. They are not even given a second thought in all the build up or the parade. After all, a human life is a human life, regardless of which side they happen to have had the misfortune to be born on.
                      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                      X