• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In memory of those who gave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I don't really agree with this rememberance day lark as it goes too close to presenting war as a brave and noble thing. Let's not forget that those who "gave" their lives were largely conscripted, faced being shot if they deserted, and suffered the random bad luck of happening to be standing in the path of a bullet whereas the person next to them wasn't.

I'm sure there were heroes, but if you make everybody a hero by default, then that belittles the genuine ones.
    We also think that post is remarkably shallow and shows no understanding of what remembrance day is.

VCs are for heroic deeds. Remembrance day is simply to remember everyone else, whoever they were, however they got there, who were caught up in war and died because of it.

That is speaking as a human of course. We daleks do not give our dead a second's thought...

Comment

Okay already, let's not gang up on someone on such an emotive subject, where there's no fighting back for risk of being torn apart by the pack.

We daleks do not give our dead a second's thought...
      That's exactly what my brother and his mates do. They have money behind the bar and have a bender when one cops it, and there have been quite a few recently. Then on with life.

Comment

"I attended a remembrance parade this morning for the first time in 20 years.
        When you think about what a lot of these guys went through in the two wars it kind of puts into perspective ones whinges about the daily grind in IT. Has anyone ever been killed or wounded by a computer? "

Me also. What got me was the number of old men and women who had medals stuck to them. People who for all the other days of the year you pass by without thinking. Today you realise just how much we all owe to these old people, people who will probably seen more of the darker side of human nature than I will ever.

I think it is disgusting that we even need a poppy appeal. If we ask people to go and fight our battles then we should look after those who return with injuries and the families of those who don't return.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I don't really agree with this rememberance day lark as it goes too close to presenting war as a brave and noble thing. Let's not forget that those who "gave" their lives were largely conscripted, faced being shot if they deserted, and suffered the random bad luck of happening to be standing in the path of a bullet whereas the person next to them wasn't.

I'm sure there were heroes, but if you make everybody a hero by default, then that belittles the genuine ones.
          I couldn't let this one go because it is absolute bolloxs. If it wasn't for the actions of these people you and I would be speaking German right now. What the hell have you done in your life which gives you the right to belittle their actions. Yes they may have been conscripted and ordered to fight but in my book their actions are a damn site more heroic than your ability to get a printer to work.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

GGGRRRRRR!!!!!! madmadmadmad
            "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by WindyAnna View Post
              I would consider myself to be anti-war, however I really do believe that those who both lived and died through WWI and WWII were INCREDIBLY brave and I do appreciate their sacrifice.

To pass off what they did with a sentence like that is complete and utter tosh. I'm not sure where to begin to tell you why ...
              Everyone should be anti-war (especially elected leaders) and war should only be used as the very last resort whan all else has failed... but sadly sometimes you have to fight and the consequences to mothers sons & daughters are obvious

The rest of your post I totally agree with
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

My brother sends his apologies for not attending yesterday. But being in Afghanistan is quite a good excuse.

He describes his job as "doing the bidding of the labour party spin machine"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
                  GGGRRRRRR!!!!!! madmadmadmad
                  Fair enough. I'm not a peacenick, I just think we should be honest about it.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    I couldn't let this one go because it is absolute bolloxs. If it wasn't for the actions of these people you and I would be speaking German right now. What the hell have you done in your life which gives you the right to belittle their actions. Yes they may have been conscripted and ordered to fight but in my book their actions are a damn site more heroic than your ability to get a printer to work.
                    I agree with this. Mind you Tony, speaking German would have helped my daughter with her GCSEs.

Comment

Shame on you Vectra. So conscripts aren't worthy of remembrance? Suppose you were hauled off to a war against your will and got killed by "random bad luck" - do we forget all about you and the family you leave behind?

This is about remembrance of all who fell, not the specific heroics of a few. By simply being there in the battlefield they were helping their side.

Comment

Working...
                      X