• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Lyrical Terrorist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    But she disn't get to jail...
    Not this time. But if she gets into what she did in the past then she will surely get a lengthy jail term.

It is also unlikely she will continue to work in Heathrow.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      It is also unlikely she will continue to work in Heathrow.
      BAA have probably made her head of security!

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        So, all in all, money well spent taking her to court
        The police and CPS gotta justify their wages somehow. The Police especially are probably pissed at this, coz one less citizen on the streets is less work for them.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          So, all in all, money well spent taking her to court
          Yes, sends out a message to other potential terrorists who maybe thinking
          like she was, that this behavour is unacceptable to society.

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
            Yes, sends out a message to other potential terrorists who maybe thinking
            like she was, that this behavour is unacceptable to society.
            freedom of speech unacceptable? Are you TB?
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

freedom of speech unacceptable?
              Sometimes that's the case, for example when the speech is an incitement to murder. In this case she got off lightly and she should be grateful the police did not sting her by approaching pretending to be terrorists and asking for some information about Heathrow that could be useful to terrorists.

Comment

Sometimes that's the case, for example when the speech is an incitement to murder. In this case she got off lightly and she should be grateful the police did not sting her by approaching pretending to be terrorists and asking for some information about Heathrow that could be useful to terrorists.
                There's no indication that she would have done that. If the police believed that, they would not have arrested her...but monitored her until she did. Basically she was convicted of having materials which - if she felt like it - could have been used by someone else - if they felt like it - to do something nasty.

Comment

Basically she was convicted of having materials which - if she felt like it - could have been used by someone else - if they felt like it - to do something nasty.
                  It's not like she just had these materials that, I agree, could have been planted - she wrote poems about beheadings right? Perhaps she was exercising her religious freedom of suggesting that infidels should have their heads cut off, but I am inclined to think that such a freedom would be more appropriate to Iran.

Comment

It's not like she just had these materials that, I agree, could have been planted - she wrote poems about beheadings right? Perhaps she was exercising her religious freedom of suggesting that infidels should have their heads cut off, but I am inclined to think that such a freedom would be more appropriate to Iran.
                    Nothing relegious about it. As long as it is not libelous or racist or inciting violence then its okay. That said - I do not have access to these poems and songs. and probably if I did I would be charged with glorifying terrorism. Perhaps they were violent - if so there is already laws for that.

I frankly don't think that having in possession a bomb manual or a gun does not make one a violent person. I at home have a few CDs which sing about wars and rocket launchers and cutting off limbs...maybe I should burn them?

Comment

Frankly, I would not mind if they start locking up those rap music guys who make songs about killing people.

The reason terrorism legislation (rather than normal criminal one) applied to her is because, unlike those rap gang people who also kill people just like terrorists, she fit profile of a terrorist person pretty neatly - all without actual act of terrorism, but I think a message should be sent to those people whose words bring freedom of speech into disrepute.

Thing is, she worked in Heathrow, not a pilot, but still she must have had some kind of clearance and ability to learn internal processes. She might not be a terrorists but an ideal target for real guys to find her (from her public lyrics) and try to take advantage of her position. Her employer could not have known what she was doing and even if they did they could not have fired her without a costly lawsuit.

Perhaps for police would have been better to go for a sting or to wait until real guys contact her. But maybe it was decided that a deterrent would be better in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                      X