• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Lyrical Terrorist"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    She's not much of a looker is she. I think she should start wearing one of those letter box things rather than the ones which allow us to see her face.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
    That's cos I was 2 trains behind the aldgate east one on 7/7.

HTH
    Guess that makes you an expert on international terrorism now

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    LOL

Clearly you've (Bright) have bought totally into the police line.
    That's cos I was 2 trains behind the aldgate east one on 7/7.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    LOL

Clearly you've (Bright) have bought totally into the police line.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    In effect she was 'grooming' potential recruits and planting ideas into their heads...

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied
    Some could say that Al Jazeera promotes Al Qaida. How do you "join" these things anyway. Is it just as simple as joining a chat line? like this one?

Anyone can easily download these documents she had. Hardly a crime...well in this age of government propoganda and fear mongering...not downloading the Labour manifesto is probably a crime.
    I think it went more than just downloading, she was actively posting
    and encouraging people via internet in commmitting jihad, see link i
    posted earlier.

The writing of 'Lyrical' poems was designed to easily communicate with
    young impressionable people, yes poems and songs have a deeper
    psychological effect, just think of all the advertising jingles on tv!.

In effect she was 'grooming' potential recruits and planting ideas into
    their heads, which is now an offence in this country, as is calling a
    certain name to a teddy bear in another country!!.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Al-Jazeera provides a different viewpoint - one which is more in tune with the cultural sensitivities of it's target audience in the Middle East which is precisely why most western Govts and commentators don't like it and classify their output as propoganda when it is no different, in terms of scope and perspective, to what US or UK news channels output.
    I never watched Al Jazeera but it seems to be they turned to be CNN of the Arab matters and it is good - they show terrorists and it is good because people need to know who these people are, what they say etc.

But if Al Jazeera starts teaching people how to make bombs and call to behead infidels or blow yourself up killing civilians then their broadcasting will end pretty quickly, or at least I hope so.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    And what exactly would that have achieved? Made us safer from the Lyrical Terrorist and her pen?
    First she won't work in Heathrow again and, I hope, in any place where terrorists might be interested in attacking. If she was fired by employer for those poems (if employer knew about them) then she would have sued and won.

Secondly this might allow prosecution of wanna-be-terrorists before they organise into viable groups to blow us up - hopefully those wanna bes will be deterred altogether though I doubt. But you need a court case that will give short (if it was a guy he'd get proper jail I think) but sufficient sentence to send a message that this sort of behavior is not acceptable here.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Slap on the wrist was what I think most people had predicted anyway.
    I don't think this is slap on the rist - her future life is ruined. Initially she will get fired from Heathrow job. Then she will struggle to find any job anywhere half-decent - not only she has got criminal conviction on a serious charge, her face is also now known.

Her life is going to be pretty much ruined even though she won't be in jail (unless she does something stupid). Harsh? Probably. I strongly doubt she would have gotten away like this if she was doing something similar (against regime obviously) in Iran or country like that. So, she really should be grateful that she lives in a country where she won't get stoned or beheaded.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Al Jazeera provides information publicly and you know where they are - they are actually based elsewhere so not subject to UK laws in the first place.
    They now have a UK office so action could be taken against them if they glamourised terrorism.

Al-Jazeera provides a different viewpoint - one which is more in tune with the cultural sensitivities of it's target audience in the Middle East which is precisely why most western Govts and commentators don't like it and classify their output as propoganda when it is no different, in terms of scope and perspective, to what US or UK news channels output.

Have you ever seen some of the one dimensional, agenda laden sh1t pumped out by FOX News?

Sure anyone can get those documents. But she went further than that - wrote poems about beheadings and a few more things that swayed the jury.
    See Lambros earlier post regarding the nice American boy singing a lovely song about called Hadji girl.

I think short conditional jail sentence is appropriate in this case.[/QUOTE]

And what exactly would that have achieved? Made us safer from the Lyrical Terrorist and her pen?

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Yes rather use her "talent" to ridicule the government. Slap on the wrist was what I think most people had predicted anyway. Perhaps change her stage name to "Lyrical abuser of Gordon Brown"

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Some could say that Al Jazeera promotes Al Qaida.

Anyone can easily download these documents she had.
    Al Jazeera provides information publicly and you know where they are - they are actually based elsewhere so not subject to UK laws in the first place.

Sure anyone can get those documents. But she went further than that - wrote poems about beheadings and a few more things that swayed the jury.

I think short conditional jail sentence is appropriate in this case.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    The reason police took action against her was because she was promoting
    this on the internet, and could have therefore encouraged other
    individuals to commit more serious terrorist offences ie 7/7.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/...207426,00.html
    Some could say that Al Jazeera promotes Al Qaida. How do you "join" these things anyway. Is it just as simple as joining a chat line? like this one?

Anyone can easily download these documents she had. Hardly a crime...well in this age of government propoganda and fear mongering...not downloading the Labour manifesto is probably a crime.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Lambros View Post
    Well if this woman is a terrorist and a threat why has she avoided a prison sentence
    Her offence is a minor one comparing to those who actually blow themselves up and other people - the main problem is that if you wait until the end then people die and you have no one to put in jail.

Leave a comment:

• Lambros
    replied
    Well if this woman is a terrorist and a threat why has she avoided a prison sentence

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7130495.stm

Personally I believe this is good news, I think...signs that attitudes are shifting in the UK. The government are still trying to extend the time a person can be held by police without charge - this time to 42 days - but public opposition is (thankfully!) growing.

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied
    Nothing relegious about it. As long as it is not libelous or racist or inciting violence then its okay. That said - I do not have access to these poems and songs. and probably if I did I would be charged with glorifying terrorism. Perhaps they were violent - if so there is already laws for that.

I frankly don't think that having in possession a bomb manual or a gun does not make one a violent person. I at home have a few CDs which sing about wars and rocket launchers and cutting off limbs...maybe I should burn them?
    The reason police took action against her was because she was promoting
    this on the internet, and could have therefore encouraged other
    individuals to commit more serious terrorist offences ie 7/7.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/...207426,00.html

The court heard Malik joined an extremist organisation
    called Jihad Way, set up explicitly to disseminate
    terrorist propaganda and support for al Qaida.

The Mujaheddin Poisoner's Handbook,
    Encyclopaedia Jihad,
    How To Win In Hand To Hand Combat,
    and How To Make Bombs and Sniper Manual
    were found on her computer

Leave a comment:

Working...
X