• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why go for a high-performance car when you won't dare drive it faster than the speed limit for two years anyway?

Remember, for the first two years after passing your test, you only have to get six points and your licence is automatically revoked. Not a ban, but revoked. You go back to square one and have to do the theory, hazard awareness and practical tests all over again. (And you can be certain that, on the practical, the examiner will be watching like a hawk for any excuse to fail you.)

You can get those six points from being caught over the speed limit twice; that can be managed on a journey of less than five miles.

I didn't dare go over the limit at all for the first two years after I passed my test; the risk was too great for it to be worthwhile. So just get something that will do 30 in the town, 60 in the country and 70 on the motorway, and save up your money. You'll be a lot safer in a high-performance car after two years of pottering about anyway.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 8 November 2007, 18:34. Reason: emphasis

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Why go for a high-performance car when you won't dare drive it faster than the speed limit for two years anyway?

Remember, for the first two years after passing your test, you only have to get six points and your licence is automatically revoked. Not a ban, but revoked. You go back to square one and have to do the theory, hazard awareness and practical tests all over again. (And you can be certain that, on the practical, the examiner will be watching like a hawk for any excuse to fail you.)

You can get those six points from being caught over the speed limit twice; that can be managed on a journey of less than five miles.

I didn't dare go over the limit at all for the first two years after I passed my test; the risk was too great for it to be worthwhile. So just get something that will do 30 in the town, 60 in the country and 70 on the motorway, and save up your money. You'll be a lot safer in a high-performance car after two years of pottering about anyway.
      Wise words mate, wise words.

Do you want to buy a 2nd hand Passat?

Comment

Were I you (I was in a similar situation 18 months ago) I would get something you are unlikely to speed in.

After your test, you only get 6 points to play with for the first two years. That's any two from speeding, box junction, jumped lights.

If you hit six points, you have to start from the theory test again.

Edit: What the monkey said /\ /\ /\
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Were I you (I was in a similar situation 18 months ago) I would get something you are unlikely to speed in.

After your test, you only get 6 points to play with for the first two years. That's any two from speeding, box junction, jumped lights.

If you hit six points, you have to start from the theory test again.
          IMHO they should do this for all drivers. 6 points and full on test again from scratch (inc theory).

That would ease congestion in a fair and safety focussed way.

Don't tax the poor off the road, remove the bad/unsafe drivers.

PS. I have been driving for 20+ yrs and never had a single point on my licence and never had a single claim on my insurance.

Comment

VX220 is a great car but offers little in the way of protection, why not go the whole hog and get a TVR Tuscan? 380bhp, they weigh bugger all and because they're made of fibreglass when you hit a tree at 160mph the V8 will come straight through and kill you in an instant, no long lingering death with time to ponder this post and how everyone is saying "he wouldn't listen".

HTH
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              why not go the whole hog and get a TVR Tuscan?
              And how you going to get warranty and spares now that TVR factory gone bust thanks to bright management of my fellow compatriot?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                And how you going to get warranty and spares now that TVR factory gone bust thanks to bright management of my fellow compatriot?
                I wouldn't worry too much... it wouldn't be on the road for long.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

£4k for a first car and then £500 odd per month - mad

Sorry mate but £4k for insurance and then £500 odd to rent your first car is just mad. Buy something for £4k max and then just pot about getting used to driving about and save the rest of your money.

However, saying that, spending my entire "life's" savings when I was about 20 on a flashy motor and then realising what a heap of junk and an utter money pit it was for the next four years was probably the best financial lesson that I've ever had.

Comment

Sod the money he's a contractor, I'm more shocked that he wants a Porsche with only 1 months driving experience.

Why not get a few track days in and learn how to drive a fast car? I've done the single seater here, a few pirouettes across the grass at 90mph helps you learn fast!
                    Last edited by gingerjedi; 8 November 2007, 19:36. Reason: broken link

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                      Sod the money he's a contractor, I'm more shocked that he wants a Porsche with only 1 months driving experience.
                      Yeah, that's my main concern. I am quite a vigilant driver (I got the strictest examiner at the test centre on my test apparently, and only got 2 minors) but I agree it might be a bit much.

I think I'm decided on an Elise now (not a turbo), it's nice and small, lets you feel the road beneath you, and happens to not look like an upside down bath, which is nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X