• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Carp Journalism...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carp Journalism...

Is it me or are Journalists getting lazier, stupider and just plain bad?

I wouldn't mind so much except that most of the jouralists I speak to (I know a few) all think they are on some Erin Brockovich style crusade when in fact they are covering some 12 year old raising money for the local donkey sanctuary.

Latest culprit is the BBC. When a famous/quasi-famous person dies do they just do the rounds....myspace / youtube / facebook seeing what they can use to pad the story out with.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7077678.stm

In this story about good looking news presenter who threw herself off a cliff there is the line

Compilation clips of her work were posted as tributes on the MySpace and YouTube websites.
    Eighty-three people had joined a Facebook group called "Charmaine Dragun Rest in Peace".
    Now I mean half that article was just comments people had posted on other sites but what in their mind made the journalist think that I would care or even want to know that 83 people joined a facebook group. Just because the journalists' lives probably revolve around the fecking site, because 20-somethings have to live on there don't they? That doesn't mean its news worthy.

Rant over.

you're right SP. The internet is a godsend for hacks who don't want to do much research.
    Remember not so long ago loads of papers reported that Ronnie Hazlehurst had written "Reach for the stars", just because somebody put it on Wikipedia?

Comment

Angling today has some of the best examples of carp journalism out there.

HTH.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What's more all this gushing sentimental praise of some self-absorbed cow who topped herself is a perverse incentive for weak-minded people, when they feel a bit fed up, to think about imitating her.

Anyone who commits suicide at such a young age, especially when their parents are still alive, is criminally selfish and heedless of the anguish they leave behind.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Unfair, Owlhoot

if only more media people (or even all of them) were to top themselves, the world would be a much nicer, and possibly saner, place. As for complaining about lazy or stupid or self-obsessed or vapid journalists, you might as well complain that water is wet.
          Why not?

Comment

Somebody jumped off a building in Brighton many years ago. Rather than interview a family member of someone who new the unfortunate, all the Argus could come up with was interviewing someone who saw the body pass their window.

It's the Angling Times by the way.

Do carp prefer strawberry or pineapple flavoured boilies? Do strawberry flavoured baits do better early or late season? Is the 32mm boilie just one step too far? Carp immigration - are the official figures right?
            Last edited by OrangeHopper; 4 November 2007, 22:15.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
              Somebody jumped off a building in Brighton many years ago. Rather than interview a family member of someone who new the unfortunate, all the Argus could come up with was interviewing someone who saw the body pass their window.

It's the Angling Times by the way.

Do carp prefer strawberry or pineapple flavoured boilies? Do strawberry flavoured baits do better early or late season? Is the 32mm boilie just one step too far? Carp immigration - are the official figures right?
              Angling Today used to be on TV - you can download the theme tune here.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
              X