• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What time do you get in to work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get the feeling some guys off here would turn up to an interview in y-fronts and a string vest, 3 days stubble, scratching their arse.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      The last time I wore a suit was two and a half years ago for the interview with the client before CurrentClient Inc. Turned out I needn't have bothered - in fact when they were contacting people directly about interviews (rather than going via Dodgy) they made a point of telling people that they needn't bother dressing up.

For CurrentClient things were pretty much settled down the pub after a conference, but procedures had to be followed which included me coming in for an interview. I asked if I should go to the trouble of digging out a suit, but was told "Don't bother, none of us will be wearing one and you'd probably feel a bit out of place."

Generally speaking I'll wear a suit for an interview unless I know it's not needed. There are people who get offended if you don't, but nobody gets offended if you do. Once in a gig I'll match the client's expectations: if everybody else is expected to wear a shirt and tie, I'm not going to act like an arrogant git and swan around in t-shirt and jeans. It's just good manners to go with their office culture in my view.
      Well said that monkey
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

i get in for 8.30 every day and leave at 6.10 every night. Im a money grabbing barsteward
        Keep it clean!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maxamus View Post
          i get in for 8.30 every day and leave at 6.10 every night. Im a money grabbing barsteward
          I'm sure you make an old agent very happy. Good lad.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            But do you not think that you expect everyone to conform to your personal tastes and habits, much like Gordon Brown refusing to wear black tie at functions in the UK?
            Not at all - how do you come by that?
            I'm not asking other people to dress the same as me am I?

And actually... who gives a **** if Gordon Brown doesn't wear a black tie - I don't like the man but as long as he looks professional for his role I really don't see a problem...

And the other point I'd like to make is that surely conforming to the office standard for dress points to D & C. I'm a contractor not a permie, I don't work in customer facing roles (client facing yes, customer no) and I should point out that I don't look scruffy. I wouldn't dream of turning up on site in ripped jeans, t-shirt etc. It's just that my definition of smart casual is shirt and (decent) black jeans.
            Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
              Not at all - how do you come by that?
              I'm not asking other people to dress the same as me am I?

And actually... who gives a **** if Gordon Brown doesn't wear a black tie - I don't like the man but as long as he looks professional for his role I really don't see a problem...

And the other point I'd like to make is that surely conforming to the office standard for dress points to D & C. I'm a contractor not a permie, I don't work in customer facing roles (client facing yes, customer no) and I should point out that I don't look scruffy. I wouldn't dream of turning up on site in ripped jeans, t-shirt etc. It's just that my definition of smart casual is shirt and (decent) black jeans.
              You completely miss the point the point.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

In 7:55 to 8am, out the door at 4pm sharp, I bump into the same fellow clock watchers each day as I leave and we smile at each other. I'd prefer the 10am-6pm shift, I used to do that in London if I could get away with it. It would now mean being involved in looking after kids at home for 2 hours before going to work !

Comment

I wear a shirt and tie and have usually been in the tiny monority in recent years. I care not, it helps with the role I am in to present myself this way and it also puts me in the right frame of mind.
                  One of the major reasons though is convenience in the morning, shave, shower, eat, select ironed shirt from wardrobe, select generic dark trousers and planish tie that's a reasonable match and leave. Whenever there are dress-down days I am wasting valuable time deciding what to wear !

Comment

Working...
                  X