• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish Independence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I know I feel that there should be devolved power - the whole of the UK is WAY too London centric.

But I'd hate to see us split up into 4 completely seperate entities. I love the UK, and I love that all 4 countries are so incredibly different, and have 4 completely different identities. I love each one equally, and completely on its own merits.

This prejudice that some of you speak of only exists in theory - I've never met anyone yet from Scotland, N. Ireland or Wales who hasn't gone out of their way to be lovely to me (both when I've visited their homelands, or when I've met them abroad).

We DO have a common identity, and I for one am very very proud of it.

As a side point though - if Scotland DID break free, I'd want the borders to be moved down to just below Borough, cause I wouldn't want to be stuck with you Southern Tory pansies.
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      OK

My point is that Scotland has relatively little entrepreneurial spirit. most of the jobs are in the public sector. The scots north of the border are going to struggle whenthese public sector jobs are taken away from them along with tax subsidies that they currently "enjoy".

Scotland has (compared to say Ireland or london) a long way to go to find people to create wealth.
      So why not say that rather than say it's because other Scots are envious?

It could be true, I suspect - with no real evidence - that there are plenty of entrepreneurial scots, but they move to where the money and the markets are - namely the south east. The challenge is reversing that trend so Scotland keeps the Scottish talent, and gets people like me (Skilled proffesionals) to move back to Scotland.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
        So why not say that rather than say it's because other Scots are envious?

Because I have spoken to three scottish businessmen who have told me this
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

OK

My point is that Scotland has relatively little entrepreneurial spirit. most of the jobs are in the public sector. The scots north of the border are going to struggle whenthese public sector jobs are taken away from them along with tax subsidies that they currently "enjoy".
          The scots north of the border are currently in the unusual position of being heavily subsidised by UK taxpayers as a whole. This is due in no small part to factors like the possibly overzealous application of the Barnett formula and other subtle 'goodies' being surreptitiously filtered back from Westminster by NL largely in return for support on key policy issues. Should that situation change radically then the populace will adapt accordingly.

Scotland has (compared to say Ireland or london) a long way to go to find people to create wealth.
          Absolute tripe. Even before the easing of tuition fees Scotland had a superior education system and proportionally more University graduates than the rest of the UK. Amongst them there are plenty who would lead the way should an independent Scotland ever become a reality. Many of them presently either move away, or go for the easy option of jobs in the Public Sector, and why not make hay in this way? To imagine that such a cultured nation could not adapt and survive should that particular phase end suddenly is naive and simplistic. Honestly DA, you and that Guardian of yours!! Tsk tsk!!
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Amongst them there are plenty who would lead the way should an independent Scotland ever become a reality
            You certainly won't be among them since the only way you would lead to is to a pub

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              You certainly won't be among them since the only way you would lead to is to a pub
              You should try it sometime, maybe make a few real friends - even, remote chance I know, meet a girl and pop your cherry.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                You should try it sometime, maybe make a few real friends - even, remote chance I know, meet a girl and pop your cherry.
                I go to pub regularly snaw, but this is not the highlight of my life

Comment

Nor the highlight of anyone else's in there either!!
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Yeah, believe I may have spotted you one or two times, sitting in the corner alone, nursing your one beer for the day (Before you post on this board about what you had), getting ready to go feed your mates, the squirrels.

Think the picture is clear enough, no more need to elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                      The scots north of the border are currently in the unusual position of being heavily subsidised by UK taxpayers as a whole. This is due in no small part to factors like the possibly overzealous application of the Barnett formula and other subtle 'goodies' being surreptitiously filtered back from Westminster by NL largely in return for support on key policy issues. Should that situation change radically then the populace will adapt accordingly.

Absolute tripe. Even before the easing of tuition fees Scotland had a superior education system and proportionally more University graduates than the rest of the UK. Amongst them there are plenty who would lead the way should an independent Scotland ever become a reality. Many of them presently either move away, or go for the easy option of jobs in the Public Sector, and why not make hay in this way? To imagine that such a cultured nation could not adapt and survive should that particular phase end suddenly is naive and simplistic. Honestly DA, you and that Guardian of yours!! Tsk tsk!!
                      I hope you are right snaw. The scots are big enough and ugly enough to get on and create wealth and do not need to be patronised by the state. If Scotland had its independence, with reduced state funds it would mean that the people would get up and create wealth...
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X