• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How did we miss this....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did we miss this....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/s...022819,00.html

About 100m from where Sockpuppet lives.

Think the arrests in Barwell are just the police trying to look like they can tell their arse from their elbow.

Very sad all the same.
    Last edited by Sockpuppet; 13 December 2013, 16:32.

Sockpuppet

When lorries raise a set of wheels when empty - is it to reduce tyre wear ?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Yeah, and reduce fuel consumption. They only do it when the axle weights allow it though (i.e. carrying light stuff).

In the UK artics are:

3 axles (in total = i.e. tractor + trailer) = 26t
      4 axles = 38t
      5 axles = 40t
      6 axles = 44t

So when you are not carrying between 40-44t then you usually raise an axle. Or more likely now the computer decides when you need to raise an axle for you.

I suppose a simple yes would have been a good idea but that is just not my style.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
        http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/s...022819,00.html

shocking! can't get the image out of my head now..

there's a mediaebal baebes gig at leicester cathedral soon, which might tempt me over..

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          It's not far from me either (a little more than 100m though).

I think it's a tragedy. I can't imagine how desperate and low you'd need to be to actually go through with something like that.

The police have let them down badly.
          Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
            It's not far from me either (a little more than 100m though).

I think it's a tragedy. I can't imagine how desperate and low you'd need to be to actually go through with something like that.

The police have let them down badly.
            I think the incidence of parents with severely disabled children who end up killing them is quite high. Must be heartbreaking to shoulder the responsibility, watch them grow and realise that soon you will be too infirm or dead to continue caring for them.
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
            X