• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you had £500,000 cash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaker View Post
    The risk is higher though. A bond carries no risk.

I wouldn't buy it though as I like to be a bit more "clever" as you put it
    Bonds carry risk - check on the RMBS market for sub-prime mortgage lending.
    Have patience. In time, even grass becomes milk.

Comment

Originally posted by chasingtheaurora View Post
      Bonds carry risk - check on the RMBS market for sub-prime mortgage lending.
      Sorry, you're right. I thought we were talking about Government bonds...
      Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        Hopeing for a turnaround - considering that one investment has gone from 45,000 to 2,000. I may be waiting a looooong time. I'm not intending o ever retire.
        Cripes what did that? Marconi?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Have you seen the price of GOOG, up from 75 to 600
          Yes ATW. But I have 10000 shares in VMWare from $29

and you can't even get Majestic to compete with Goog.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
            6.5% is 3.9 %after tax.

This is why the rich look to earn 20% a year tax free in those offshore hedgefunds. They are the ones who make 6% after tax and inflation.
            20%? pah, check out what emerging market funds (esp. China, Latin America) and commodities funds have returned in the last year 50 - 100+%.
            "High risk" admittedly.

Comment

Not the right time to buy a UK tracker. Or Lloyds shares either.

I think there's a place in every portfolio for a selection of investments at varying grades of risk. Today, I feel that interest rates are reasonable for a very low level of risk and that there is a place for cash given the current volatility in other market sectors. So I have fixed a portion of my portfolio (hmmm not 500k!) until a better investment comes to light.

I've also held Indian, Chinese and S.E. Asian funds over the past couple of years, though this amount is smaller that I would invest in lower risk sectors. Still nice to get a 100% return once in a while but I wouldn't expect it very often.

Comment

Working...
              X