• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coffee Machine Choices ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Absolutely

My current client had so many members of staff complaining about the quality of the free coffee that they've commissioned a Dutch firm to create their own exclusive blend. They even flew several permie volunteers over to the Netherlands for a three-day tasting session, all expenses paid. We should be getting it in the New Year
    Don't tell me, your client is the NHS?

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      As we all know, coffee, coding and contracting all share something in common (apart from the letter "C"). They are mutually dependent on each other.

With that utterly profound statement out of the way, I'd like to ask if anyone (or "anybeing" remembering our non-human friends on here) has any personal recommendations for coffee-machines.

I've looked at the Flavia Machine and it has a large range of drinks. But has anyone tasted them ? Are they any good ?

I've looked at the Nespresso machines, and the range is limited to about 12 types of coffee which come in proprietary capsules. Anyone tasted any of these ?

Then apparently there are these "pod" machines, which can take any number of pods (over 200 types in the uk alone I believe) which offer a massive variety of choice. Anyone tried these machines and the coffee ?

Then there is a Tassimo, which also has proprietary pods in a smaller range. I have tried the Tass, and found the coffee to be mediocre.

So many choices....
      The only coffee machine is the bezzera

http://www.coffeeman.com.au/product.php?productid=102

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
        Don't tell me, your client is the NHS?

No, they're an American web corp - just like the NHS, really, except they only give you free email, rather than saving your life (every other Tuesday)

Comment

has anybody tried roasting their own coffee?

Comment

Sorry Geek. Only just saw this thread.

Stove top boilers are great.

I do not like the pod machines. The coffee is good, but you can only use pods.

I have a built in Zanussi coffee machine but there are others around and it depends what you want. Mine is like you see in proper coffee shops with a scoop that you fill and then twist in. The machine grinds the beans if I am using them. It also takes all the pods and pouches.

I would recomend that you take a trip over to Europe and go to an electrical outlet there. They have a good range of bench top machines that take coffee beans at one end and water at the other and then it is a push button operation. Lovely. Saeco, Gagia lots of choices and all pretty good.

Be warned though. Getting decent beans at a good price is not easy in the UK. I work on the mailand and bring it back though we have found a decent online supplier recently, you will have to PM for the URL as I will have to look it up when I am home. I too am an Illy fan, but my online supplier does Lavazza which is high on my list. Actualy Tchibo coffee is very good too but they dont yet do beans in the UK.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Update

Thank you all so much for your recommendations and advice. Much appreciated !

I managed to find, by accident, a Gaggia Shop about 5 miles from me, that has the whole range of machines, ready to test out.

I went inside, and was pleasantly suprised to be welcomed by a lady of mature years who knew her stuff (no giggles at the back please).

I was expecting some peroxide gum-chewing teenager girl...so it was a real pleasure to talk to someone mature and sensible.

She asked questions, recommended various machines, asked more questions, then we both narrowed it down to the Gaggia Baby or Gaggia Baby Dose.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaggia-Baby-.../dp/B000LCQV78

Not that I will be going to buy from amazon...the service in the shop was well worth the extra few quid (I was in there 90 minutes and tried several coffees). For an extra £10 on price, I got my money's worth, and besides, they took their time with me, so it's only fair to repay that kindness.

Thanks again all !
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                Update

Thank you all so much for your recommendations and advice. Much appreciated !

I managed to find, by accident, a Gaggia Shop about 5 miles from me, that has the whole range of machines, ready to test out.

I went inside, and was pleasantly suprised to be welcomed by a lady of mature years who knew her stuff (no giggles at the back please).

I was expecting some peroxide gum-chewing teenager girl...so it was a real pleasure to talk to someone mature and sensible.

She asked questions, recommended various machines, asked more questions, then we both narrowed it down to the Gaggia Baby or Gaggia Baby Dose.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaggia-Baby-.../dp/B000LCQV78

Not that I will be going to buy from amazon...the service in the shop was well worth the extra few quid (I was in there 90 minutes and tried several coffees). For an extra £10 on price, I got my money's worth, and besides, they took their time with me, so it's only fair to repay that kindness.

Thanks again all !
                Good choice, and stylish. You might consider a coffee grinder (even a roaster) then you can source your own beans to grind and put in that. It's better from the bean.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                X