• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The "Ask Beaker" thread.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Can I have a go?

(1) God, existent or not, can be conceived of.
    (2) God, as conceived, is perfect, regardless of whether He exists or not.
    (3) A thing that is perfect cannot be deficient in any way.
    (4) Non-existence is a deficiency: therefore a thing that is perfect must exist.
    (4) Therefore God exists.
    I am what I am. do you doubt me mortals ?

Diver = Godlike
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Let’s have a go using Gödel's incompleteness theorems since they show inherent limitations of all but the most trivial formal systems (and his name also begins with God).

Basically: For any consistent formal, worshipable religion that proves basic religious truths, a religious statement that is true, but not provable in the religion, can be constructed. E.g. Whether God exists is neither provably true nor provably false from within that religion. Furthermore if you could prove that God exists in that religion, then he wouldn’t exist, since if a religion could be proven to be consistent and complete from within itself, then it is itself inconsistent. God also can’t be proven to be an axiom of that system, i.e. there may be a greater God, and there may be things that cannot be proven from the God axiom alone (e.g. what created God). Some other God or Gods may be necessary.

This states what we already know about religion, that logic and consistency doesn’t apply. So to sum up God isn’t a consistent formal logic system. He’s a cool guy with a beard prone to vengefulness. I proved it (using a proof system that only applies if God is a consistent formal logic system. It doesn't apply if he is a grey bunny saying neeh).
      Last edited by TimberWolf; 8 December 2007, 08:01.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Is this thread merely a ruse to up your post count?
        Yes
        Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          ...Furthermore if you could prove that God exists in that religion, then he wouldn’t exist, ...
          Sounds a bit quantum to me. Is he related to a trapped cat by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Sounds a bit quantum to me. Is he related to a trapped cat by any chance?
            Yes, it's interesting how all these fields (mathematics, physics[esp. quantum] and logic) are all comming together. Add religion to the list

Comment

Beaker, everyone hates me, what should I do?

Comment

Beaker - what is the capital of Peru?

Comment

Beaker, do you have a part-time job wearing white overalls,helmet and black visor?
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Beaker htf can Nintendo DS - which has been out for over 2 years- be out of stock everywhere?

Should I trust the eBayers from Hong Kong to deliver?
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Beaker - what is the capital of Peru?
                      Since Beaker isn't here: Lima
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X