• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone traced their family tree?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't get the Family Tree thing. Unless you think there's a hidden legacy, it's an expensive way of finding out that one's ancestors were a bunch of hard-up numpties.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
      Try derivations of the surname, ages, place name, or think of possible mistakes that could of been made when it was transcribed and search on them. They may also have been avoiding the census man so try the 1891 or 1881 census.
      Apparently, it was made illegal to be have a surname of McGregor at some point in the past due to some transgression against the king of the time (Edward 1st I think). Alot of the babies were registered with other names or just were not registered.

Oh yes, and for Scottish names beginning with Mc it could also be Mac - but most of the search engines will match on both for you anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
        This is exactly where I have been struggling.

I have name and area living for the 1901 census and I'm getting no results!
        I had this problem - the record may not be on there yet. I could find birth records and marriage records for the faimily before then.
        They may have been (e.g.)working away when the census was taken?
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I am descended from royalty.

I typed in "Dodgy" and every king and queen () from the last three centuries popped up

Unfortunately so did Hitler's and Stalin's names crop up
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
            Don't get the Family Tree thing. Unless you think there's a hidden legacy, it's an expensive way of finding out that one's ancestors were a bunch of hard-up numpties.
            Neither did I until Little Bear came along.......changes one's perspective!!
            Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              Try derivations of the surname, ages, place name, or think of possible mistakes that could of been made when it was transcribed and search on them. They may also have been avoiding the census man so try the 1891 or 1881 census.
              Good point - thanks

Comment

Neither did I until Little Bear came along.......changes one's perspective!!
                How?

Comment

Up until then it was just me ....plodding along doing my thing in my way, where I came from had some relevance but only to the point of repeating anecdotes I'd heard from the family.

Little Bear coming along made me think about these things, you see traits from yourself or your parents in him and it starts you thinking a bit more.

Also I want him to feel part of a family and so I would like to be able to tell him the history of such.

In short - it's made me more sentimental!

Comment

so did anyone else get an email about Genes Reunited after reading this thread????

...for aerodynamic purposes

Comment

Up until then it was just me ....plodding along doing my thing in my way, where I came from had some relevance but only to the point of repeating anecdotes I'd heard from the family.

Little Bear coming along made me think about these things, you see traits from yourself or your parents in him and it starts you thinking a bit more.

Also I want him to feel part of a family and so I would like to be able to tell him the history of such.

In short - it's made me more sentimental!
                      Another excellent reason to avoid having kids.

Comment

Working...
                      X