• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone traced their family tree?"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by WotNxt View Post
    If you have any Scottish relatives then I can certainly recommend www.ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk as a fantastic site. It is relatively cheap and has loads and loads of searchable scanned register pages.
    Scottish ones also have the church registers online (General Register Office for Scotland has it), whereas not all the English ones do (General Records Office does not have parish records).

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    "Anyone traced their family tree?"

I think for giant alien lizards it is more like a bramble bush!

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Bear View Post
    Up until then it was just me ....plodding along doing my thing in my way, where I came from had some relevance but only to the point of repeating anecdotes I'd heard from the family.

Little Bear coming along made me think about these things, you see traits from yourself or your parents in him and it starts you thinking a bit more.

Also I want him to feel part of a family and so I would like to be able to tell him the history of such.

In short - it's made me more sentimental!
    Another excellent reason to avoid having kids.

Leave a comment:

• salazie
    replied
    so did anyone else get an email about Genes Reunited after reading this thread????

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Up until then it was just me ....plodding along doing my thing in my way, where I came from had some relevance but only to the point of repeating anecdotes I'd heard from the family.

Little Bear coming along made me think about these things, you see traits from yourself or your parents in him and it starts you thinking a bit more.

Also I want him to feel part of a family and so I would like to be able to tell him the history of such.

In short - it's made me more sentimental!

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Neither did I until Little Bear came along.......changes one's perspective!!
    How?

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Try derivations of the surname, ages, place name, or think of possible mistakes that could of been made when it was transcribed and search on them. They may also have been avoiding the census man so try the 1891 or 1881 census.
    Good point - thanks

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    Don't get the Family Tree thing. Unless you think there's a hidden legacy, it's an expensive way of finding out that one's ancestors were a bunch of hard-up numpties.
    Neither did I until Little Bear came along.......changes one's perspective!!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I am descended from royalty.

I typed in "Dodgy" and every king and queen () from the last three centuries popped up

Unfortunately so did Hitler's and Stalin's names crop up

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    This is exactly where I have been struggling.

I have name and area living for the 1901 census and I'm getting no results!
    I had this problem - the record may not be on there yet. I could find birth records and marriage records for the faimily before then.
    They may have been (e.g.)working away when the census was taken?

Leave a comment:

• WotNxt
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Try derivations of the surname, ages, place name, or think of possible mistakes that could of been made when it was transcribed and search on them. They may also have been avoiding the census man so try the 1891 or 1881 census.
    Apparently, it was made illegal to be have a surname of McGregor at some point in the past due to some transgression against the king of the time (Edward 1st I think). Alot of the babies were registered with other names or just were not registered.

Oh yes, and for Scottish names beginning with Mc it could also be Mac - but most of the search engines will match on both for you anyway.

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Don't get the Family Tree thing. Unless you think there's a hidden legacy, it's an expensive way of finding out that one's ancestors were a bunch of hard-up numpties.

Leave a comment:

• WotNxt
    replied
    If you have any Scottish relatives then I can certainly recommend www.ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk as a fantastic site. It is relatively cheap and has loads and loads of searchable scanned register pages.

Also just try Google searches for your ancestors names as there are a fair few people out there who publish the results of their own research and you may find a match. If you do then these are a gold mine of information.

Additionally, if you have a Mormon in the family anywhere then get in touch with them as they all research their "pedigree" and generate vast amounts of useful data for research purposes - I believe many of the genealogical websites are run by Mormons.

I managed to discover that I descended from the McGregor clan (who claim to be the original line of Scottish kings!) and also from a Norman Conqueror. Also may be related to Grace Darling (inspiration for the founding of the RNLI) but not been able to make the link just yet.

Good luck in your search and I hope you find it rewarding.

ps. I would also recommend GenesReunited which is useful for comparing notes with others as it automatically looks for matches between members' family trees and gives the ability to share trees and discuss connections with other members.
    Last edited by WotNxt; 5 October 2007, 12:42. Reason: To add ps.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It's frustrating when the family changes the name.

I nearly lost the trace of mine when for some reason they changed it from Saxe-Coburg-Gothe.

Charlie Teck.
    I think we could be related ! What colour is your blood ?

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    This is exactly where I have been struggling.

I have name and area living for the 1901 census and I'm getting no results!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X