• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Metadata and ethics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    IMHO There's a difference between using information to your advantage and acting unprofessionally. Guessing a client from some selected info isn't the same as agreeing to be put forward and then trying to go direct.
    A fine line, though! Maybe I'm just too well brought up!

Comment

Ok I'll give you an example, 4 years ago I interviewed via Agency A for a contract and got it, budget fell through in the end. The guy gave me his card at the interview.

2 years later agency B phones me up about a contract in <area of company> and describes the exact role I went for 2 years prior. I contact the client via the details he gave me and got the contract (client never had my direct details so couldn't contact me and the original agency had gone bust)

Should I have given commission to an agent for a job I knew I could get and had already done the groundwork for?
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        Should I have given commission to an agent for a job I knew I could get and had already done the groundwork for?
        As I was going to St, Ives....

Comment

Contracts Direct

Whenever I've got a direct contract (most times by going back to a former client or one I knew from my consultancy days), the client has still insisted that an agent be put in the middle. The reason is that otherwise the client could be held liable for the employer N.I. they're so keen to avoid. Beats me how other contractors have managed to avoid this.

Comment

Working...
          X