• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What the hell am I doing here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a new career. This lark is doing my head in too, just haven't got a clue what else to do. I've been looking into some franchises but the best ones want silly money and I'm not sure they are worth the risk, despite the "testimonials"

for everyone anyway.
    Last edited by pisces; 22 September 2007, 10:11.

Comment

Yeah, how did it come to this.

Started to realise that I just hate, hate, hate work now. The money though.

Got enough in the bank so live to the same standard for a 2 or 3 years so I could take a break. Still reasonably young (28), not married, no kids, no mortgage.

Gonna take a couple of weeks off next and think about what I want to do. Gonna head out to Asia, stay in a nice hotel, just chill.

I've got a new job lined up as a project manager coming up... but do I really want all that? Always thought that I wanted the big house, kids, private schooling for them... and I do really want at least a couple of children ... but I don't want some rat race existence...

... but I still need an income ...

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
        Started to realise that I just hate, hate, hate work now. The money though.

Got enough in the bank so live to the same standard for a 2 or 3 years so I could take a break. Still reasonably young (28), not married, no kids, no mortgage.

I've got a new job lined up as a project manager coming up... but do I really want all that? Always thought that I wanted the big house, kids, private schooling for them... and I do really want at least a couple of children ... but I don't want some rat race existence...

... but I still need an income ...
        Nothing absolutely nothing will eat through your cash pile faster than kids ..forget Asia... & put the pennies away now
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

It isn't that expensive. Flight is 500 quid. Hotel is free and spending money will be whatever I want.

Just want to get away, do something new, experience a place I have never been before.

Which is kind of what I want. I don't want my life just to be working, getting married to the girlfriend, making polite conversation at grown up parties, dealing with the million tiny humilations at various offices to ultimately make money for various corporations a large share of which gets spent on just being in a position to work in an office.

Just want to relax and have a random adventure. Maybe one of the few chance I will get to this again if I have kids soon.

Comment

It isn't that expensive. Flight is 500 quid. Hotel is free and spending money will be whatever I want.

Just want to get away, do something new, experience a place I have never been before.

Which is kind of what I want. I don't want my life just to be working, getting married to the girlfriend, making polite conversation at grown up parties, dealing with the million tiny humilations at various offices to ultimately make money for various corporations a large share of which gets spent on just being in a position to work in an office.

Just want to relax and have a random adventure. Maybe one of the few chance I will get to this again if I have kids soon.
            Go, go now and be free, have fun and do what makes you happy.

Koh Samui is fantastic for just hanging out and The Spa resort has fantastic food and massages and is really inexpensive. I wish I had of spent more time in SE Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by pisces View Post
              I need a new career. This lark is doing my head in too, just haven't got a clue what else to do. I've been looking into some franchises but the best ones want silly money and I'm not sure they are worth the risk, despite the "testimonials"

for everyone anyway.
              Funny you mention Franchises I looked into these as well specifically Pizza, was supprised at how little ££ was in it, need a decent size chain of branches to make a decent ££.

Comment

Originally posted by brownie74 View Post
                My honest advice to you is to get extremely fit...
                ...i know that when i was extremely fit it helped me deal with the stress much better...
                ...Do it. You'll be surprised how much better you feel...
                ...Do it for 1 month and come back here and post the results.
                Bloody good advice. I'm working on that too - it really does give you more energy.

Originally posted by pisces View Post
                I've been looking into some franchises...
                Not with a 10 foot barge pole. Two mates of mine just spent 65k on that kind of malarkey with 3k/month overheads - They've been sold down the river and I did warn against it, not even your own boss properly with a franchise, not for me.

Gonna take a couple of weeks off next and think about what I want to do. Gonna head out to Asia, stay in a nice hotel, just chill.
                Have a great time mate - hope you get some clarity out there.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  Bloody good advice. I'm working on that too - it really does give you more energy.
                  I second that. If you are stressed at work/do not have a lot of time, then do not do any aerobic activity such as jogging/cycling, instead two 30-45min anaerobic gym sessions per week plus one session playing your favourite sport (football, tennis etc) will be more than enough.
                  Last edited by bored; 22 September 2007, 22:43.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                    Not with a 10 foot barge pole. Two mates of mine just spent 65k on that kind of malarkey with 3k/month overheads - They've been sold down the river and I did warn against it, not even your own boss properly with a franchise, not for me.
                    Go on, name and shame, What type of franchise did they start?
                    Statistically the success rate tends to be higher than if you start your own, due to having a "proven" business system to follow and nationally recognised branding.

Good thread by the way, not a day goes by without me thinking "this is all bollocks", and "I pity these permies" who are getting so absorbed, stressed and frustrated by politics.
                    But come invoice time it all makes sense and you can feel detached from the role and focussed on the real goals, your goals not theirs, that the money will help achieve.
                    Definitely a different mindset to being permie IMO, I'm the only contractor in a permie group at the moment and its really weird sometimes.
                    They never discuss anything of any real importance, none of them have a "plan B", or think outside their status as an employee and pension prisoner.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
                      Go on, name and shame, What type of franchise did they start?
                      This one. So much of the 'motivational stuff' reminded me of pyramid scheme frenzy - they're hooked into everything - cutting off preferred suppliers, the van hire, IT equipment, clothing, business cards, everything. They tried to charge 2k for an awning - a tent! I'd rather snort coarsely-ground glass than get involved with something like this.

It is a different psychology doing what we do - and I think it prepares us well for breaking out of IT whenever we decide we need a change, doing something as leftfield as opening a chippie eh Threaded?

Comment

Working...
                      X