• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What the hell am I doing here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately I am about to complete an MBA, therefore condemning myself to corporate life for the rest of my days. What a bore...

I really just should have travelled the world with a guitar and surfboard rather than a laptop and an IT degree...
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
      Unfortunately I am about to complete an MBA, therefore condemning myself to corporate life for the rest of my days. What a bore...

I really just should have travelled the world with a guitar and surfboard rather than a laptop and an IT degree...
      It's never too late

Unless you have children...

Comment

An MBA shouldn't condemn you to corporate life should it? I'm doing business training to get out of corporate life!
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          An MBA shouldn't condemn you to corporate life should it? I'm doing business training to get out of corporate life!
          Well, you know what I mean... what else is it good for? You don't exactly need one to run a coffee shop
          Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Mate of mine got one and is now a driving instructor, apparently its good money.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

there is only cash in IT

i had the same moment of clarity some years ago

i am now completely focussed on the $$ and banking more loot

everything i do in work is geared towards increasing my rate

since i've been working like that i've actually been enjoying work more

sadly, i've realised i'm completely motivated by money - since my rate has gone up a lot over the last year- i'm a relative success and i'm feeling good about work!

i might aswell cash myself up before moving onto something more meaningful
              Last edited by brownie74; 21 September 2007, 16:14. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by brownie74 View Post
                i might aswell cash myself up before moving onto something more meaningful
                Are you single
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Well, you know what I mean... what else is it good for? You don't exactly need one to run a coffee shop
                  I'm training to build my Ltd up into a company that will run without me and that I can some day sell for a lot of money. Can't an MBA help you do something like that?
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Nope lyrics are copyrighted as well.

55p plus £10,000 fine, even if you are a 13 year old single mother or granny.

Love XXXX

RIAA
                    Correction. This thread has had 246 views as I write.

The RIAA will now assume that 246 people are now copyright infringers. And they've got access to that den of iniquity called the internet, so must be pirating music and software.

Plus their immediate family, and all their friends, family and colleagues.

Probably the postman too.

No hope whatsoever, I'm afraid.
                    Last edited by Sysman; 21 September 2007, 16:42.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Beaker - I completely relate to that. Not a day goes by at the client's site without me either

a: hating wearing a suit - however well tailored it is to make me feel better about wearing one. (mostly because I'm surrounded by dull suit wearing <expletive>, and I feel like I'm in the film Brazil)

b: dealing with uninspiring, institutionalised morons.

c: surreptitiously rolling my eyes at corporate-speak in a meeting, having to stop myself yelling "What the? do you even understand anything you just said?? Speak in English, not MBA-BS."

d: listening to middle-management warble on about football in worrying detail (do these people have a life??), smiling politely at banal jokes, and being on the fringes of asinine chit-chat.

or e: longing to frisbee my monitor through one of the windows, light a cigar - setting off the sprinkler system, jump onto the desk and yell "Hey everybody - let's..." (Copyright Mary Whitehouse Experience).

But no - I do the duty of a contractor, which is to quietly chuckle as I prepare my invoices, book holiday time whenever I feel like it, feel free of the politics except when I need to get something done in the interests of my team, and marvel at how much more money I'm making with each renewal.

Take solace from the fact you realise how superficial this all is, and work on your plan B while the money's coming in.

Comment

Working...
                      X