• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"It is bureaucracy gone mad".

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I was behind a woman who was asked for ID. She responded with 'I'm 28'.
    You *could* get a very young looking 28 year old though. Was she? This bloke was 71!!!

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
    I tell her to count the rings on my nob.
    Outstanding wendigo100!

Comment

Haven't fixed your syphilis problem then?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

"You *could* get a very young looking 28 year old though. Was she?"

No - A bit of a heffer really - obviously older than 18 though
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

A bit of a heffer really
          heifer

(Unless you meant Simon Heffer...)

Comment

If that were true, the counter boy you asked to do that would most likely get done for being a pedo!

Mailman

Comment

I wonder what would have been the reaction if the old guy had asked for proof that the person serving him alcohol was over 18?
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Mrs OG and I got asked for ID in Sainsbury's the other day. We were delighted.

Comment

I wonder what would have been the reaction if the old guy had asked for proof that the person serving him alcohol was over 18?
                  Security would be called, then the old man battered to a standstill by a security bod, followed by discovery that security personnel are Polish immigrants, followed by a lengthy hearing at the European Court of Human Rights, followed by discovery that Madeleine McC is in one of the freezers, followed by accusing fingers being pointed at local Social Workers for ignoring the situation for so long, followed by the building of a mosque where the booze aisle once was, followed by foot & mouth being discovered in a tin of Steak & Onion, followed by the local MP falling for one of the Cheeky Girls, followed by a huge queue forming outside the local C+G, etc, I suppose. Hard to be 100% accurate, though.

Comment

"It sounds as though he was being a stroppy old git."

No I think he was right. Why should a pensioner have to prove that he is over 21 - surely there is a point where common sense comes into play?
                    As someone now based in Belgium, to me it seems quite normal.

The phrase 'sans papiers' doesn't allow common sense to intrude...

Comment

Suppose the guy "wasn't" 71 as he looked ?

Suppose he was a 17 year old police cadet, disguised as an old man, as part of a sting operation ?

Suppose he was 16, but with that genetic disease that makes you age prematurely ? (I forget the name....lol "marriage" sprung to mind there)

Suppose he was a 9 year old time traveller from the future, who overshot the past too much and ended up looking 71...

The fella was being awkward for the sake of sheer bl00dy-mindedness.

(or perhaps his ID said "Lord Lucan" and he didn't want to be rumbled)

Seriously...all he had to do was confirm his age. It's not the job of the person asking him to make an on the spot decision themselves.
                      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                      X