• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone ever seen a ghost?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    where did god come from ?
    God comes from Oxfordshire, of course; Satan is from Woking.

Comment

I once saw a dog running past my bathroom door, I was sober, not on drugs or sleepy. I thought a dog had managed to get inside the house. When I rushed to catch it, it wasn't there... A ghost dog? I don't believe in that sort of mumbo jumbo, but I can't explain it. I found out later that a previous owner of my home used to breed the same type of dog that I saw.

Even stranger, in the same house, both my wife and I watched a full glass of wine moving across the table on its own. I can't explain that one either. (and yes, we were both sober etc)

We also occasionally smell pipe smoke and it turns out that the previous owner used to smoke a pipe. He lived in the house for 50 years, not sure if he died here, but certainly had the heart attack that eventually killed him here. We are so used to it that when we smell it we say out loud "hello Mr Cowie" (yes, his name was Mr Cowie)

Al.
      Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
        I once saw a dog running past my bathroom door, I was sober, not on drugs or sleepy. I thought a dog had managed to get inside the house. When I rushed to catch it, it wasn't there... A ghost dog? I don't believe in that sort of mumbo jumbo, but I can't explain it. I found out later that a previous owner of my home used to breed the same type of dog that I saw.

Even stranger, in the same house, both my wife and I watched a full glass of wine moving across the table on its own. I can't explain that one either. (and yes, we were both sober etc)

We also occasionally smell pipe smoke and it turns out that the previous owner used to smoke a pipe. He lived in the house for 50 years, not sure if he died here, but certainly had the heart attack that eventually killed him here. We are so used to it that when we smell it we say out loud "hello Mr Cowie" (yes, his name was Mr Cowie)

Al.
        He's living in your loft, I think you'll find.

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
          We are so used to it that when we smell it we say out loud "hello Mr Cowie".
          Next time try shouting "F*** 0** Cowie, ya dead tw@", (just to see if anything untoward happens as a result, and for a bit of a laugh).
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
            Next time try shouting "F*** 0** Cowie, ya dead tw@", (just to see if anything untoward happens as a result, and for a bit of a laugh).
            Apparently if you do ask them go away - nicely I might add - they will go and will not return to bother you. If you then ask them to return, they will, but so will other ghosts who would have viewed your expression as an open invitation.

Comment

I suppose that's the approach they'd have to take for the exorcism if they were running a pub, what with the smoking ban and all, they could get into real trouble.

Comment

This whole question of 'ghosts' opens up a wider debate about 'life after death'. Leaving aside the religious angle on this for a moment, if they do exist then it doesn't say much for the afterlife, does it? Hanging around, slamming the odd door and flicking a light switch now and again. What's the point of that?
                The vegetarian option.

Comment

This whole question of 'ghosts' opens up a wider debate about 'life after death'. Leaving aside the religious angle on this for a moment, if they do exist then it doesn't say much for the afterlife, does it? Hanging around, slamming the odd door and flicking a light switch now and again. What's the point of that?
                  You'd be able to go and haunt people who had pissed you off, that could be a benefit.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Playing with their lights isn't really 'revenge' though, is it? It's mildly irritating.
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Playing with their lights isn't really 'revenge' though, is it? It's mildly irritating.
                      Ok, you could "mildly irritate" people who had pissed you off in a former life.Maybe if you're a really angry ghost you could do more nasty things like throwing vases around rooms, or maybe turning into a 50 metre tequila worm.

Will Self wrote quite a good novel about the after-life. Can't remember the title now but it was quite good,
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X