• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where are you from?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rantor View Post
    The facts do point out to a sizeable proportion of reported racial abuse incidents being directed at English folk. This is not a good thing and it is something that most Scots are uncofortable discussing amongst themselves let alone with anyone outside the country. TBH, I find the parallels with where I am living at the moment really creepy.
    Travel sometimes gives a different perspective Rantor.

Can't comment on what it's like to be English in Scotland, but certainly would agree with the MSP who said that if there is a problem such things needs to be "nipped in the bud".

Originally posted by snaw View Post
    I can honestly say that I know very very few people who actually hate the english to any extent worth mentioning. Yeah banter, which usually goes both ways, but actually racial abuse with venom, no.
    I don't think you would see your "racial abuse with venom" much amongst the Flemish either - give or take the odd shooting spree or tossing the ethnics into the river sort of thing.

Still one in four, one and three in their largest city, and one in two in some parts of it, vote for their equivalent of the BNP. Yet, to this day, I have still not met one person who says they have voted for them or agrees with their ideas...
    Last edited by Joe Black; 13 September 2007, 19:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black View Post
      Travel sometimes gives a different perspective Rantor.

Can't comment on what it's like to be English in Scotland, but certainly would agree with the MSP who said that if there is a problem such things needs to be "nipped in the bud".

I don't think you would see your "racial abuse with venom" much amongst the Flemish either - give or take the odd shooting spree or tossing the ethnics into the river sort of thing.

Still one in four, one and three in their largest city, and one in two in some parts of it, vote for their equivalent of the BNP. Yet, to this day, I have still not met one person who says they have voted for them or agrees with their ideas...
      Well by that same standard every englishman Ive met since living here is a racist, more or less, cause I've been abused for being Scottish ...

Though I hear what you're saying, the path to the extreme has to start somewhere but I don't genuinely believe there is a significant level of serious anti-english bigotry in Scotland, any more than I believe the reverse. I know plenty who'll cheer when Argentina score a goal against England but that doesn't make them a bigot.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Well by that same standard every englishman Ive met since living here is a racist, more or less, cause I've been abused for being Scottish...

Though I hear what you're saying, the path to the extreme has to start somewhere but I don't genuinely believe there is a significant level of serious anti-english bigotry in Scotland, any more than I believe the reverse.
        As I said I can't comment on Scotland from any personal experience. Perhaps the level of abuse and violence against perceived 'foreigners' is no different in Scotland than in England, or Flanders for that matter.

My concern though is not the few thugs who do such things. It's the point when, as someone wrote in one of the Flemish newspapers recently, it becomes "acceptable and legitimised" by a large section of those people to "hate or discriminate" against others.

The extreme bit is what comes after...

Comment

London innit
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

SO where are the options for the assorted Giant Alien Wossnames we have lurking around here?
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              SO where are the options for the assorted Giant Alien Wossnames we have lurking around here?
              I'm pretty sure that's covered in choice #7 ...
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Well by that same standard every englishman Ive met since living here is a racist, more or less, cause I've been abused for being Scottish ....
                When I arrived in London (90) I certainly found that to be the case, on and off, though I tended to rise to the bait a bit quicker in those days ("no, I won't be going back to where I came from matey - having too much fun stealing your jobs and shaggin yer women " - all pithy, erudite stuff)

....but I don't genuinely believe there is a significant level of serious anti-english bigotry in Scotland, any more than I believe the reverse...
                Really not so sure, I'd prefer to be wrong but it isn't always what I hear. Like I said earlier it ain't so easy to discuss this as it touches on a lot of stuff that people don't like to confront (especially not in front of the neighbours)
                Last edited by Rantor; 13 September 2007, 21:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

I react much better to a soothing voice and a kind word - preferably from the fairer sex.

You react to what your domineering missus tells you to react to, now get back in the kitchen you great mincing henpecked fop!
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                  X