• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live 27 miles from the IB I work at. It takes me 1.5 hours every day to travel there, by overground train and then the tube. I've been doing it 3 years now, and it did take its toll on me physically. Over time I began to plan my commute in advance, as in what to do on my journey (read book/paper/mag, music etc) and now I actually enjoy the journey and see it as my personal time.

Comment

Yeah, you can definitely get into a groove but it is exhausting.

If only the trains were more reliable and the tubes weren't so hot and overcrowded. It's not something I look forward to.

Whilst writing this the call has come in - been offered the second contract!

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
      I live 27 miles from the IB I work at. It takes me 1.5 hours every day to travel there, by overground train and then the tube.

Comment

Originally posted by mbriody View Post
        Been offered one contract 'up north'. Same job title and rate as I'm currently on (which I'm happy with), long term, (probably) straightforward work but based away from home (as I currently am).

Also expecting an offer (within an hour or so) for a contract in the City, new field of work (possibly an 'in' to more contracts), probably 3 months only but £50 a day more plus potential overtime/weekend work.

This role is one or two levels below my usual job title so very much hands-on but possibly less responsibility/stress. Also its (just) commutable - probably 2 hours train/tube door to door.

Need to decide today! Any thoughts?
        Go with the one living away.... Its great in the North and the people are friendly

Comment

Stay down south. The more of you that stay away from the north, the better.

If it were me, I'd take the northern one.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Better sense of humour etc ....

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
            Go with the one living away.... Its great in the North and the people are friendly

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Crosby View Post
              You think 2 hours is commutable, not for long it isn't.
              Did 8 months of 2 hours commutes and it is indeed a great way to end any social life you may have.

Comment

Just think, if you commute 4 hour per day (2 there and 2 back for the milan types on here) and work for 46 weeks of the year, that means you will spend the whole of January and the first week of Feb just commuting. See if you can get a reduction in your rent based on the fact that over a 12th of your life that year would be spent inside on of our nice, clean, reliable and not in the slightest bit overcrwded trains.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                X