• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

10 year period contract duration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    How do you stay on 1 site for 5.7 years - you disguised employee you!

I always get itchy feet after 9 months unless
    Guilty as charged ! by the end I hated it, was in a terrible rut but market had dropped and I had to stay or take a 40% pay cut elsewhere. Finished just as IR35 was getting going so home free on that score. Never ever do more than 2 years is my advice and preferably less (not a problem with restrictions these days e.g.11 month rules), you get stale, skills atrophy and the slippers start to feel too cosy.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
      Only been 3 years for me so far. I keep thinking another couple of years may be enough, as in financially, to keep me happy for a while.

A lot of my thinking is spent on planning my financial freedom. So in all seriousness I ask the following question -

After > 10 years, have you guys set yourself up in a comfortable financial situation? Could you afford to not work for a long time, or even at all?
      It's definitely one of the advantages of contracting: there's not really the fear of losing your job and worrying about money. Permies have to worry about the threat of being sacked.

Last time I checked, had about 10 years of expenses in the bank (i.e. could do without working for 10 years)

Comment

After > 10 years, have you guys set yourself up in a comfortable financial situation? Could you afford to not work for a long time, or even at all?
        Not me. Women, cars and decent food and wine have kept me relatively poor. You're not here for a long time, you're here for a good time - that's my motto.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

4 days
          3 months
          3 days
          2 weeks
          (all this while still in full time education)
          7 months
          3 months
          1 month
          4 years
          4 days
          2 years

Comment

For me..

6 years
            4 months
            3 months
            5 months
            4 months
            9 months ( being extended will be a year)

dont like staying too long in once place as I get bored...
            but does it look bad on my CV?

Comment

Only been 3 years for me so far. I keep thinking another couple of years may be enough, as in financially, to keep me happy for a while.

A lot of my thinking is spent on planning my financial freedom. So in all seriousness I ask the following question -

Well you can calculate. In ten years you could gross £880,000 (£400 220 days) ok now 70% of that is £660,000. So subtract what you spend over 10 years and that is roughly how much you'll have. I reckon you could have £300,000-400,000.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Well you can calculate. In ten years you could gross £880,000 (£400 220 days) ok now 70% of that is £660,000. So subtract what you spend over 10 years and that is roughly how much you'll have. I reckon you could have £300,000-400,000.
                Why have I got feck all then?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  You can get more than that by doing nowt and BTL.

HTH
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well that is a theoretical figure

I know I feel the same way .
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
                      Last time I checked, had about 10 years of expenses in the bank (i.e. could do without working for 10 years)
                      Similar situation for me. Hence my 3-months-and-counting on the bench has been tainted more by bad weather and existential angst than financial worries. Which is nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X