• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tube Strike gggrrr

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    What he actually wants is an end to PPP and the transferral of ownership and maintenance of the underground to a public body. That's the only way that they can get the assurances that they claim are still outstanding.

They can't get assurances about what will happen to jobs in the future, because no-one knows who will be owning the contract, or how many people they are employing. The administrator will have gone by then, so surely any assurances given now are worthless anyway!

So, why doesn't the administrator give everyone a guarantee of a pay rise, job for life, and a bumper pension, and then just say "oh it's nothing to do with me - talk to the new company?" That first part is what RMT want - I'm sure that they don't want the second part to happen though.
    I'm going to something very horrible: Public Ownership.

The Tube is, until Star Trek-like transportation is with us, London's fastest method of traversing the city and its surrounding areas. It's fundamental to Londpn functioning. Allowing the dollar to rule it is stupid. It's a tool to generate money, by allowing folk to get to work. Obvious stuff, I know.

Wouldn't it be pretty smart for the UK to take the Tube out of the Private sector, and put it under direct control of the Mayoral Office? I am sure this has been mooted before... but Ken was Public Enemy No. 1 back then. Now he's proven that London hasn't descended into a Hieronymus Bosch nightnare under his captaincy, maybe, just maybe it's time to have a rethink.

Comment

Public ownership just might work nowadays.
      Just don't hire any lazy feckless Brits.
      Plenty of Poles about who'll work all day forra fiver.

Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
        You seem to be perfectly happy to accept that Bob's in 1970s Wildcat Strike mode, but not even slightly concerned that there may just be something worthwhile at the root of his actions.
        Yes. Tell you what if there was anything in his actions why have they now suspended the strike into it's 2nd day without winning anything extra. Not a bean, nadda, zippo - exactly what they got.

There is no reason for him to hide anything, to cost London Businesses £50million.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras View Post
          Yes. Tell you what if there was anything in his actions why have they now suspended the strike into it's 2nd day without winning anything extra. Not a bean, nadda, zippo - exactly what they got.

There is no reason for him to hide anything, to cost London Businesses £50million.
          You win. Bob's a pinko; his only reason for existing is to destroy London; all Tube workers are lazy, grabbing lefties who simply don't understand that the world has moved on; getting into work & back today is more important than silly things like the future of London's fastest and currently amazingly safe transport system.

Good luck on your Tube journeys in future.

Comment

Working...
          X