• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The future of East London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricChair View Post
    East End full off pooftahs. .
    Indeed. Francko used to live there.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
      Does anybody have any thoughts on the future of East London.

Property pirces sky high, slow gentrification but at the end of the day it is still the East End and has a large proportion of skag heads, nutters and gangs etc.

In 10 years time, will it have nice little coffee shops and pattiseries or will it still be a ghetto?
      Up where I am (North Shoreditch) there is a large amount of building going. some of it replacing pretty rundown properties. We also have a new school being built - due to open Sept 2008. There is also rumours that Hackney Council are finally going to do something with Haggerston Pool - engineers have been in to check the pool itself.

So this little area is starting to look a lot cleaner than when I moved in, but there are also areas which are not so pleasent. The Factory which now has small industrialised units still has broken windows and is dirty. The Council Flat blocks are still pig ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Indeed. Francko used to live there.
        No. I was one of the few who could afford the SW. You are the eastender here.
        Last edited by Francko; 24 August 2007, 13:59.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras View Post
          Up where I am (North Shoreditch)
          North Shoreditch? Is that estate agent speak for Bethnal Green?

I like the East of the city. Every address in London that I have ever lived at I have made sure that there was an "E" in the postcode.

OK it has changed a lot in the twenty or so years that I have been here and there are still a few areas that I would not want to walk around. It is an area of extreme contrasts, you have the sink estates and the rich people's new developments, and not a lot in between (until you get out beyond zone 3). 25 years ago, all you had were the sink estates and a few pockets of professional people in places like Whitechapel and Bow, so there has been a lot of progress and I am optimistic about its future. (I don't intend to stay here beyond the end of next year though)

Comment

Not all of it I hope, I grew up in Bow, round the Roman Rd Market area, went to Stepney Green School. There is still loads of council housing, though gentrification is happening, its not everywhere.

It would be boring if it was full of arty-farty poofta types.
            Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

victoria park, hackney

i think that is the best place to live in east london

its already got the little pavement cafes and decent pubs

its also walkable to the square mile, walkable to canary wharf

its near shoreditch

admittedly its not far from murder mile either

on victoria park rd you have million pound houses next to council flats - due to the bombing flight path in WW2

...and you're right on one of the best parks in central London where they do the stella artois film festival in the summer

i loved it there!

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                Look at virtually every town and city elsewhere in the country for your answer. There will always be a roughly equal proportion of decent people and scummy people, and the distribution of decent to scummy areas will reflect this.

Therefore, for East London to be full of pleasant coffee shops and boutiques, West London would have to take something of a fall. Despite what our esteemed government would like you to believe, London 2012 will do little to change this.

Good point, where are all the people that you don't want to live in the East End going to move to? You can't move them all to Dagenham or Basildon (unless the people that live there now move out into new homes Prescott was supposed to build along the Thames floodplain).

To the east for the trend in gentrification in the inner part of zone 2 to continue (which I agree it will, its too close to the square mile not to), zones 3 to 5 will probably ghettoise (or de-gentrify) even further, if thats possible, e.g. crapholes like Barking and Ilford.

I can't see how the Olympic facilities will hugely change the demographic of the people living in zones 3-5, apart from pockets of new build stuff.
                Yes, some brave young professionals will swallow estate agent spiel peddled in the Evening Standard property section and buy new flats in gated complexes. But they'll be living in an almost South African style devoid of any sense of shared "community".
                After a few years eventually they'll move out to zone 6 and beyond to towns either just inside or outside the M25 for their own safety and to bring up kids, etc.

Comment

Working...
                X