• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Man arrested over wi-fi 'theft'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post
    Isn't that a bit like saying women who dress "tarty" are asking for it or it serves people right who don't have 50 locks on their doors and intruder alarms deserve to be burgled and it's their fault?
    IMHO it's more like saying, look there is a tap you can get water from over there and you're thirsty. There is nothing on the tap saying it is private, or that you need permission to use it, but when you get some water from the tap to quench your thirst a couple of CSO's jump you and arrest you for drinking water that does not belong to you.

Comment

Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Tarty Women: Yes or No.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime.
          To be fair, he wasn't telling porkies. He just wasn't stating what type of crime he intended to be tough against.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
            To be fair, he wasn't telling porkies. He just wasn't stating what type of crime he intended to be tough against.
            Or defining "crime".

Hug a hoodie, that'll help.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post
              Isn't that a bit like saying women who dress "tarty" are asking for it or it serves people right who don't have 50 locks on their doors and intruder alarms deserve to be burgled and it's their fault?
              NOOOOOOOO

It's like saying I am in a developed country's capital city and my laptop is picking up a signal, maybe per chance this street is covered by a wifi hotspot.

that would be my defence anyway - but there is still no comparrison between this and your analogy.

closer would be

"isn't it like going into a brothel....etc

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                IMHO it's more like saying, look there is a tap you can get water from over there and you're thirsty. There is nothing on the tap saying it is private, or that you need permission to use it, but when you get some water from the tap to quench your thirst a couple of CSO's jump you and arrest you for drinking water that does not belong to you.
                Hmm, if it was a tap in public i.e. a drinking fountain then you'd be right. Your analogy in the case though would mean using someone's outside tap i.e. attached to their house which is obvioulsy private and you would be trespassing.

Comment

Isn't it more like not paying for a TV licence? The felon isn't costing anyone anything.

Except not paying his "fair share" of course.

Comment

when people have opinions like this I am saddened by the state of society:

'No, but as a responsible citizen you shouldn't actually be leaving your car or house unlocked, or valuable jewellery on your living room window sill. That's more or less an open invitation.
                    '

very sad that it is accepted that people are allowed to try to steal your belongings and it is your fault for not securing them enough or keeping things hidden.

Milan.

Comment

furthermore, I am always amazed when for example I am in Vienna and I see builder's lorries parked overnight with all kinds of equipement in the back not welded down, I think to myself, wow, that would be gone in the UK

very sad and it is accepted in the UK !!

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X