• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recording my vinyl collection to MP3

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It takes a while to do - be prepared for a flashback to recording the Top 40 from the radio!

I have a CD player which is also a recorder hooked up to my stereo, so I do transfers from tapes / records onto there, and then rip to MP3 on the PC.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The thing with cheap belt driven decks it you can't be guaranteed that the record will be the same BPM all the way through as the belts expand and slip slighty. This matter more if your goign tobe using the MP3's for djing as the BPM need to be bang on.

So using a high end direct drive turntable like the Technics SL is the only answer really.

Comment

Terratec iv

Hi,

I used the Terratec ivinyl USB gadget to transfer some of my records to MP3 format. It also contains software to remove clicks & pops etc.

Extremely easy to use.

--Jatinder

Comment

I'd like to do this too but naturally I do not want to spend any money so shall probably just plug in my ancient record player from the attic and hope for the best.

PS My favourite record got warped by being left in the sun and then got bit of the Daily Mail melted into it when I tried to flatten it with a steam iron. Any ideas how to digitally remove the regular ripping noise it makes?
          Last edited by xoggoth; 20 August 2007, 15:55.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            Search and download the same albums in MP3 format, you'll be surprised what you can find if you try hard enough.
            Can't find the original version of Essential Jean Michel Jarre. The later version you can find has some of the later stuff which is not nearly as good.

Comment

I use a microphone in the middle of the room so I can get that 'live' feeling

Actually I need to do this but with 3000+ records I think it might take a loooong time....
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Cheaper alternative is to simply hum your favourite tunes. Helps prevent Global Warming, too.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Wot is this "needle" of which you speak?

I see that Maplin are selling 78rpm "needles" for those with extensive collections of shellac.
                  I haven't worked out how to hook my gramaphone up to the system yet.

Down to the last 100 needles, so I need to think of how to record them at some stage...
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by dotnetter View Post
                    The thing with cheap belt driven decks it you can't be guaranteed that the record will be the same BPM all the way through as the belts expand and slip slighty. This matter more if your goign tobe using the MP3's for djing as the BPM need to be bang on.

So using a high end direct drive turntable like the Technics SL is the only answer really.
                    As compared to a cheap belt-driven turntable, perhaps. A Technics SL is a professional DJ deck, not a high-end audio turntable (like e.g. Linn Sondek or Clearaudio), most though not all of which are belt-driven.
                    Wissen ist Macht, aber nichts wissen macht nichts.

Comment

Working...
                    X