• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain faces Iraq rout

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richard-af View Post
    The whole Iraq invasion/war/whatever was a huge mistake from the off. But it happened, nonetheless. That the UK could now even think of saying, "Ta-ra, luv! See ya!" is sickening, given that Iraq is now more unstable than it ever was under Saddam. The UK helped (willingly, blindly, arrogantly, etc.) initiate it; it should at least stay-on and see it through.
    You are right except for the last bit - see it through to what?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
      You are right except for the last bit - see it through to what?
      Good point - er - dunno! Changed my mind - let's pull out now and pretend it never happened!

Comment

I'm no military historian except in an amateur way - I've read everything I could lay my hands on over the years. But even with my unschooled half-knowledge, I thought going into Iraq in 2003 was a massive mistake.
        Do you think Dubya has actually read a book in his life?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          I'm no military historian except in an amateur way - I've read everything I could lay my hands on over the years. But even with my unschooled half-knowledge, I thought going into Iraq in 2003 was a massive mistake.
          Do you think Dubya has actually read a book in his life?
          I am sure that millions of Iraqis were glad we did, however we screwed it up very quickly.
          "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by Unwitting Catalyst View Post
            Pray do tell us of New Zealand's contribution to the "War on Terror".
            NZ's only terrorist threat comes from supposedly friendly governments!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
              I am sure that millions of Iraqis were glad we did, however we screwed it up very quickly.
              When the war started I stated on this site that the biggest cheers when the bombing started would be heard from Tehran.

Iran has emerged from this War as the Middle East super power - without lifting a finger .

Given the recent invitations from Russia for Iran to join Warsaw Pact 2 (ie the new Russian and China millitary co-operation group ) any prospect of an attach upon Iran could escalate into WW3.

Which is fine is you are a fundamentalist Rapturist.

Insure NOW with Prudential

Nice work guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Unwitting Catalyst View Post
                Pray do tell us of New Zealand's contribution to the "War on Terror". Didn't your guys get a kicking in Vietnam - don't tell me, "we had to fight with one hand tied behind our backs, snivel snivel".

Rescuing South Sea islanders from disappearing atolls is very commendable, but you don't really need an army for that, do you?
                Interesting points UC , given that Mailman has for years lambasted all whom had the termerity to challenge the wisdom of launching the Iraq War - which by any account has now ended in a defeat for the British Army , I look forward to Mailman's robust defence of his homelands illustrious millitary history.

However perhaps all is not lost - just think of how motivated the troops would become if the man who fought tooth and nail to launch this War - Mr Blair - was to do his bit and help defend the Basra camp ?

Shoulder to Shoulder - Mr Blair said that himself.

We await your response with excited anticipaton Mailman.
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 20 August 2007, 13:40.

Comment

Eisenhower was right. Read this speech and marvel at it's wisdom and intelligence. Then compare with the current incumbent. From a true statesman to a monkey.

Eisenhower speech

"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence -- economic, political, even spiritual -- is felt in every city, every State house, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together. "
                  Last edited by sasguru; 20 August 2007, 13:39.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                    Interesting points UC , given that Mailman has for years lambasted all whom had the termerity to challenge the wisdom of launching the Iraq War - which by any account has now ended in defeat for the British Army , I look forward to Mailman's robust defence of his homelands illustrious millitary history.

We await your response with excited anticipaton Mailman.

I
                    Actually the Kiwis have an illustrious 2nd world war record. But then they wouldn't have had Mailman in the army except in a ShaunBhoy-like potato-peeler role.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Actually the Kiwis have an illustrious 2nd world war record. But then they wouldn't have had Mailman in the army except in a ShaunBhoy-like potato-peeler role.
                      Even then that would have been more than you would have ever done...well apart from surrendering or maybe evening helping the enemy out eh?

BTW, was the main character in "The Wave" based on you?

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                      X