• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

5 "Britons" held in Guantanamo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    I have a strong objection to Guantanamo in the first place. I believe in due process and individuals rights. This camp shows how little regard the Yanks actualy have for human rights and democracy, which was the platform they went to war on.

I believe we have a duty to offer shelter to the persecuted.

HOWEVER: I do not see why someone who was granted asylum in the UK has any business travelling the world under our protection. If they feel safe in another country, especialy one which is closer to home and is more culturaly aligned with their own beliefs, then why did they not claim asylum there?

AFAIAC: They gave up the right to our protection the moment they left our shores and their asylum/right to remain should be withdrawn forthwith.
    Exactly my point. The Liberal tree huggers simply played the "racist" card as usual to deflect the argument.

If they are so concerned, place a big donation to some human rights charity to ease their middle class guilt trips.

Comment

I have a strong objection to Guantanamo in the first place. I believe in due process and individuals rights. This camp shows how little regard the Yanks actualy have for human rights and democracy, which was the platform they went to war on.

I believe we have a duty to offer shelter to the persecuted.

HOWEVER: I do not see why someone who was granted asylum in the UK has any business travelling the world under our protection. If they feel safe in another country, especialy one which is closer to home and is more culturaly aligned with their own beliefs, then why did they not claim asylum there?

AFAIAC: They gave up the right to our protection the moment they left our shores and their asylum/right to remain should be withdrawn forthwith.
      I believe (but I'm not sure) that the guy in Gambia was travelling on business.

This bit is a question for anyone who may know: what passport would the refugees have been travelling on?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg

This bit is a question for anyone who may know: what passport would the refugees have been travelling on?
        And therefore under whose protectorate
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

If he is free and safe to travel the world then why does he need refugee status in the UK?
          Why is he not for example a refugee in Gambia?
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

If he is free and safe to travel the world then why does he need refugee status in the UK?
            Why is he not for example a refugee in Gambia?
            He is a refugee from his country of birth (Jordan). I don't see why this should stop him making a business trip to Gambia. But I am interested as to what passport he would have been traveeling on.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
              I find this xenophobia hard to swallow.

My take on things is that if somebody is willing to make a contribution to the common good (ie work hard and obey the law) whilst in this country, they are welcome to be here regardless of their country of origin.

If somebody is unwilling to make a contribution to the common good whilst in this country, I couldn't care less for their presence and would prefer them to leave sooner rather than later.

Why the hatred? We're all people and none of us have the right to claim the land on which we exist for our exclusive use.
              But that is the whole point. I don't happen to agree with Guantanamo Bay. A person is either a POW or a criminal. either way the law has ways to deal with them.

Now had these people been caught fighting for the other side then equally they are not working for the common good, they are fighting the country which took them in (itself an act against the teachings within the Quoran0

The trouble with Guantanamo Bay is that we do not know because the actions of those caught have not been the subject of a court case in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt
                http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6934782.stm

Jamil el-Banna, a mechanic, is a Jordanian with refugee status in the UK.

Libyan-born Omar Deghayes was granted refugee status with his family in the 1980s.

Shaker Abdur-Raheem Aamer, originally from Saudi Arabia, had been living in the UK since 1996.

Binyam Mohammed al Habashi was born in Ethiopia but sought asylum in the UK in 1994 and was given leave to remain.

Abdulnour Sameur is an Algerian army deserter who came to Britain in 1999. He was granted refugee status in 2000.

Is it me, or are none of the detained, British in any way?
                You are correct. None are British in any way and should never have been allowed to set foot on our soil.

Comment

Learnt something new today. Jamil El-Banna was travelling on a Refugee Travel Document http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Fr...=1037022864837. Never heard of one of those before.

I struggle to see why anyone doesn't give a toss about him being kidnapped and illegally imprisoned (and possibly tortured), but I guess I just lack the imagination to understand others' lack of humanity.

Comment

Don't agree with Guantanamo either but above seems to be missing the major point. Are these people a real threat?

As I understand it most never had a proper review of their case but that does not mean the US was wrong to think they were. Will there now be that proper review? If the review suggests the threat is probably real (and it does NOT have to be proven since we have no obligations to foreign citizens) they should be left where they are or deported.

I suspect in reality that the government's first duty, the safety of its citizens, will as usual be subordinated to the perverted PC view of human rights* and they will simply be freed in the UK with no proper checks done. I further predict, since I doubt the US suspicions were wrong on all of these cases, that some will prove a threat in the future.

*That rights can exist without duties and obligations.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I struggle to see why anyone doesn't give a toss about him being kidnapped and illegally imprisoned (and possibly tortured), but I guess I just lack the imagination to understand others' lack of humanity.
                      I guess I lack imagination as well, because I can never understand why goo goo eyed white Englishmen have sympathy towards a bunch of people who not only loathe them and their country, but would also certainly welcome genocide against its citizens. Is this how pathetic and weak we've become? Cry tears over your would be executioners and save all your vitriol for the meek offspring of religious pilgrims?

Comment

Working...
                      X