• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

citi - project / programme management??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the National Centre's strategic objectives :-

To promote Middlesex University as a centre of excellence in project management nationally and internationally.

It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

All these acronyms and qualifications are there just make it look harder than it is to manage a project - and to justify permie salaries. Just get on with it. Anyone with any nouse can plan and manage a project.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
        All these acronyms and qualifications are there just make it look harder than it is to manage a project - and to justify permie salaries. Just get on with it. Anyone with any nouse can plan and manage a project.

The problem is there are so few people with 'any nouse'. A good friend of mine makes 2k a day rescuing projects/programmes, which are often in such a mess due to a complete lack of governance and structure...

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
          Lucy,

are you sure you didn't just take those words from a Dilbert cartoon ?

Milan.
          my life is a dilbert cartoon

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
            Anyhow, you're a contractor, you're not supposed to have a boss ! Make your own decisions !!

Well, indeed. However, I my brief is to apply governance to an out of control programme, with a nutty manager. The company's standard is P2, but I can't find a single person who knows what a PBS is.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
              Well, indeed. However, I my brief is to apply governance to an out of control programme, with a nutty manager. The company's standard is P2, but I can't find a single person who knows what a PBS is.
              I have worked in places where they claim to go by P2 standards, and yet everyone gets edgy when I define the PBS's because nobody, techies specifically, wants to produce any of the actual deliverables. Go figure.

P

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
                I agree with the former part of that statement.

But not everyone can manage projects. If you have the right personality and attitude, then you can manage a project without knowing what a highlight report is, a PBS is, or what any other [insert here] is. If you are not much of an interactive person, your project will fail.

The question is, how many people really do have the right attitude and interactive skills to manage a project? I think not many, and despite P2 standards, one good reason why projects fail is because the person is not right for the PM role.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew
                  But not everyone can manage projects. If you have the right personality and attitude, then you can manage a project without knowing what a highlight report is, a PBS is, or what any other [insert here] is.
                  That's what I meant by "nouse".
                  Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew
                    I agree with the former part of that statement.

But not everyone can manage projects. If you have the right personality and attitude, then you can manage a project without knowing what a highlight report is, a PBS is, or what any other [insert here] is. If you are not much of an interactive person, your project will fail.

The question is, how many people really do have the right attitude and interactive skills to manage a project? I think not many, and despite P2 standards, one good reason why projects fail is because the person is not right for the PM role.
                    I fully agree and, in addition, there are so many companies that think they only have to educate their PM's in P2 and everyone else hasn't got a clue about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang
                      I fully agree and, in addition, there are so many companies that think they only have to educate their PM's in P2 and everyone else hasn't got a clue about it!
                      Unlike this insurance company who have spent a fortune training everyone but everyone in it and still they don't understand.

Comment

Working...
                      X