• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by n5gooner
    Well why don't you 'move in' for 6 months, change the gas, CT and elec to your name convert the mortgage to a personal one, not a BTL then sell it....

hth
    Well,

Firstly it was my prime residence for a while. But being married I have another residense and it's not as simple as just saying "this is my PPR". There is a chance I might get the 3 years rental relief though.

The state of the mortgage is irrelevant in terms of whether it might be ones PPR or not (in fact it has always had a mortgage on it which is a '"standard" residential one).

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
      I've just bought a copy, who wants me to email them the pdf....£10 and it's yours.
      And Mr Bayleys take on the magic answer is ? [I will probably move in to it and make an election then, which should alleviate some of the pain, but the advice received to dater is "you're a bit stuffed mate"].

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
        And Mr Bayleys take on the magic answer is ? [I will probably move in to it and make an election then, which should alleviate some of the pain, but the advice received to dater is "you're a bit stuffed mate"].
        Were you always married when you lived in it? If not, you will almost certainly get PPR which would include the last 3 years of ownership plus potentially £40K per owner lettings relief. That normally brings the gain down to nil unless you have owned it a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by THEPUMA
          Were you always married when you lived in it?
          Yes. I guess I could move back into it for a while and make a 222 election. But that does look a bit transparent Also I don't know how this will affect the property which at that time will be my wifes PPR (or maybe we both move into the rental house and then sell it)

The gain is is fact about 140k over 10 years. Mrs ASB and I are tenants in common anyway - but she is not on the deeds. This was done by a duly notarised deed of gift.

I need to be careful with the main house as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
            Yes. I guess I could move back into it for a while and make a 222 election. But that does look a bit transparent Also I don't know how this will affect the property which at that time will be my wifes PPR (or maybe we both move into the rental house and then sell it)

The gain is is fact about 140k over 10 years. Mrs ASB and I are tenants in common anyway - but she is not on the deeds. This was done by a duly notarised deed of gift.

I need to be careful with the main house as well.
            So when you originally bought it, you were married and your wife owned and lived in another house? If that is the case, then I think HMRC would look at which one you spent most time in. If this is not yours, then there is a problem.

If you do move back in, then you will get the last 3 years of ownership exempt and will be able to double this up with lettings relief so you will probably get 60% off, leaving a gain of £56K, £33.6K after NBA taper relief, £15.2K after annual exemptions.

If you have actual occupation of the BTL before you sell, you can elect for it to be your PPR for a day and then elect for your normal residence to be your PPR the following day. This means you will only lose one day of PPR on your main property.

Various caveats apply etc.

Comment

Originally posted by THEPUMA
              So when you originally bought it, you were married and your wife owned and lived in another house? If that is the case, then I think HMRC would look at which one you spent most time in. If this is not yours, then there is a problem.

If you do move back in, then you will get the last 3 years of ownership exempt and will be able to double this up with lettings relief so you will probably get 60% off, leaving a gain of £56K, £33.6K after NBA taper relief, £15.2K after annual exemptions.

If you have actual occupation of the BTL before you sell, you can elect for it to be your PPR for a day and then elect for your normal residence to be your PPR the following day. This means you will only lose one day of PPR on your main property.

Various caveats apply etc.
              When *I* originally bought it wife and I owned (and still do) our house. I then gifted half of it to my wife. I lived in it 4 nights a week for a couple of years and foolishly didn't make the election.

I'll be quite happy to trade 3 years + lettings relief for one day PPR on the main residence. [Here the gain is rather more]

It does look as though there might be some mileage.

I assume Mrs ASB would also need to move in and make the election in order for her to claim the lettings relief.

I guess my strategy probably needs to be make election, sell it, claim it, cross fingers.

Comment

Don't forget that the value of a house is significantly higher in areas where people leave out little saucers of jam for wasps.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Aarrrgggghhh!

I'm definitely selling now. One of the tenants left the bath tap running last night and partially flooded the downstairs neighbours' flat. I didn't get to bed until 3.00am sorting it all out.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

east london

last year i sold my flat in East London and made a lot of money on it in 3 years

the reason i sold it was i'd rather have 100K cash in the bank now than *maybe* 200K in the bank in 2 years from now

although it has gone up 70K more in one year since i sold it, i'm glad because i have a large deposit for the next one

i have seen a mate lose 200K in the dot com crash by being greedy

cash it in! then wait for the crash!

Comment

Working...
                    X