• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SandyDown
    huh?? Franco is a Swiss renting loser?? Franco fill me in, did you quit your permie role and contracting in Swiss land now?? how did I miss that??
    I have found a contract but then I went for the permie option as it was almost the same money. I do regret it already after a few weeks though.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
      He couldn't hack it in the City. So he raised the white flag and quit. But that's Italians for you. WHen the going gets hard, the Italians run away.

What did the Romans ever do for us?

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
        I have found a contract but then I went for the permie option as it was almost the same money. I do regret it already after a few weeks though.

Yeh did the same mistake, and stupidly more than once

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
          Yeh did the same mistake, and stupidly more than once
          On the other hand, it's normally not easy to find a contract on something you don't have experience on so as long as you learn in your permie job I don't find it too much of a waste. Staying a permie and not learning anything then it's a big waste, I think.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
            Joining the Dark Side - tch,tch,tch!!

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
              Neighour is selling his house, which is identical to ours, for £40000 more than last year's asking price for our model. That is greater than a 10% rise.
              Neighbour

That is what they are asking for but from what the estate agents I have been talking to have said, not many houses are fetching the asking price at the minute. I am not in London so that market may be different.

A lot of the houses we have looked at over the last 4 months are still on the market. We have just accepted an offer on ours after reducing the price by £15k and are looking to bank the capital (£200k) and rent for 6-12 months while we look for another. Not just gambling on the house market dropping but that we want to live in an area where houses don't come up that often so being a cash buyer is a big advantage.

Still, if the market does take a tumble then we will have timed it quite well!

Fingers crossed...

Comment

Prices

AFAICS, prices in London have begun to stagnate, if you are looking arounf the first stamp duty threshold you will see that many are dropping to 250/255 that where 265/275.

Most decent places are way above that price though so we will have to see
                There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6929361.stm

The number of mortgages in arrears came in at 125,000 - 3% down on the same period last year.
                  definately boomed, china hasn't even started waking up yet, wait until
                  every chinese want's to buy cars, software and rolex watches.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6929160.stm

Comment

When we get a major downturn, which muct happen sooner or later, just how may unemployed will we have? 6 million?

All those eastern europeans in the service industry jobs, will they go or will they stay now?
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Spark
                      definately boomed, china hasn't even started waking up yet, wait until
                      every chinese want's to buy cars, software and rolex watches.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6929160.stm
                      they already are...wait till they start building their own aeroplanes.

Comment

Working...
                      X