• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working Hours - Where Did My Life Go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money.

Benjamin Franklin
    US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

Comment

It's just a bit of a shock to the system.

And where's all the love? LOL.

As a permie my workmates were my friends.

Now, permies hate you because you earn more and other contractors hate you because you are competition.

I think because most contractors here are living away from home then they only have a hotel room to go back to so I guess they may as well stay at work a bit longer. I live local so I have a nice house to go home to.

So general advise seems to be you are being paid well so get on with it and stop moaning. Or, if you want a life you need to take a lower rate. Seems reasonable I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2
        Where are you working?

Regular 11 hour days is nuts, unless you are getting paid daft amounts for it. Have a look at some of the lower tier IBs. Its a standard 9 till 5-30 where I am for everyone, and the rate is still decent (500-600 / day). And we still get to post sh1te here all day.

At the end of the day, you are your own boss. If you dont like it - walk. Why are people killing themselves to get a renewal anyway? The market is pretty strong - my experince is that the line managers just want an easy life and would rather renew someone good who they know who works 45 hour weeks than go back to market and take their chances on a random to get an extra 10 hours "seat time".
        That sounds more like it.

Steer clear of American banks like Goldman Sachs or Lehman Brothers.

I get the impression high street banks like Barclays or RBS would be better.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by WetBehindTheEars
          As a permie my workmates were my friends.

Now, permies hate you because you earn more and other contractors hate you because you are competition.
          Where the feck are you working? Is it Barcap by any chance? It sounds like it, its well known as a hellish place.. Just look for another contract and walk as soon as you line something up, this certainly isnt "the norm".
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Where are you working?

Regular 11 hour days is nuts, unless you are getting paid daft amounts for it. Have a look at some of the lower tier IBs. Its a standard 9 till 5-30 where I am for everyone, and the rate is still decent (500-600 / day). And we still get to post sh1te here all day.

At the end of the day, you are your own boss. If you dont like it - walk. Why are people killing themselves to get a renewal anyway? The market is pretty strong - my experince is that the line managers just want an easy life and would rather renew someone good who they know who works 45 hour weeks than go back to market and take their chances on a random to get an extra 10 hours "seat time".
            Never mind where he's working, where are YOU working, and do they need a talented Oracle DBA (that's me!) with Tuning, RAC and other High Availability skills?

Comment

Where are you working?

Spill the beans, where is "Utopia"
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Gosh. I get in late, leave early, take long lunch hours, set my own schedule of work, and work only as hard as I need to.

but then - I have to deal with people who, simply put, don't deserve to have a job.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Leave it out!

I do my 8 or 7.5 hours and I'm off! if there is a very good reason for me to stay longer (PAID!) then I might, but since I started contracting my work life balance has been much better!

I don't feel so pressured, I know I always deliver and have never had any problems getting renewals, fuk other contractors they can do what they want.

I do what hours I want and take days off when I want, I make sure my work is done and I'm on shedule and thats that.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
                    Spill the beans, where is "Utopia"
                    European bank, non front office role. Its not really any different from working at BT to be honest. Although I guess we dont spend all of friday afternoon in the boozer as we did during my stint with buzby. Ah, happy days...
                    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

I'm working for a Telco in the North of England. Don't want to say more than that in case someone figures out who I am. They will know it's me because I'm the lazy one who only works a 60 hour week.

I need some contracting experience under my belt so I'll stick it out. I don't really need the IT experience as I have over 10 years in IT.

I think the market in the North of England is quite poor. I was involved in the recruitment of contractors in my last perm job and for every position we received a sack full of applicants all of whom could "start immediately".

I was hoping I could stay in work just taking contracts that are commutable from home but I'm increasing thinking this is unlikely.

Comment

Working...
                      X