• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employment Agents... bad experiences?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Muttley08
    I think we're getting a bit emotional, and a bit carried away with 'professional standards' that don't exist in 95% of the market - either with contractors or business in general.

Clients change their minds, agents change their minds, contractors do....

My point was that the agent shouldn't get excited when someone does the same tricks they do. If the agents and clients are responsible they know this could happen - I've taken on contractors and know until they show up, it's not guaranteed....that's life....

If the guy has been offered double then fair play to him...that'll make a lot of difference to him, the client will live, their business won't be impacted that much...

This sort of behaviour happens commerically, you shift your better consultants from small customer to big customer who'll grow the contract, make you more money....If the client gets upset, they're in the wrong game, if the agent does, they are too...
    So it is fair game then for your builder not to turn up on a verbal promise, or your plumber or your washing machine repair man? Why then do companies bother with paying wet behind the ear accenture grads for £2000 per day when they could easily hire experienced bods off the contractor market for quarter of the money.

Just because you have worked, clearly, on non critical applications that does not mean other clients have a requirement for reliable and dependable suppliers.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

The point that seems to be missed here is that the OP had already made a verbal agreement to start and a start date had been set in stone. OP has not yet confirmed if they accepted via e-mail or not, or if they had reviwed the contract and/or signed it (Which would make it a written agreement).If the OP had said to the agent, yes in principle but i'll need to see the contract before I commit and i'm only committed once the contract is signed. Then it wouldn't be a problem.

I don't care what anybody says, or what excuses they put forward this behaviour is unprofessional, wrong and not what contractors should be doing. Sadly it seems that there are a growing number of contractors who have no ethics, are not professional and see no problem with dropping people in the tulip. Feeble excuses like "It's what an agent would do to us" are complete cop outs. Two wrongs don't make a right FFS, and what really gets my goat is that the unprofessional w*nkers out there are dragging the rest of us down.

You do not commit to a role unless you intend to do it, if you think you may do it but aren't sure you tell the agent yes on principle but I need to go through the contract before I make my final decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
        The point that seems to be missed here is that the OP had already made a verbal agreement to start and a start date had been set in stone. OP has not yet confirmed if they accepted via e-mail or not, or if they had reviwed the contract and/or signed it (Which would make it a written agreement).If the OP had said to the agent, yes in principle but i'll need to see the contract before I commit and i'm only committed once the contract is signed. Then it wouldn't be a problem.

I don't care what anybody says, or what excuses they put forward this behaviour is unprofessional, wrong and not what contractors should be doing. Sadly it seems that there are a growing number of contractors who have no ethics, are not professional and see no problem with dropping people in the tulip. Feeble excuses like "It's what an agent would do to us" are complete cop outs. Two wrongs don't make a right FFS, and what really gets my goat is that the unprofessional w*nkers out there are dragging the rest of us down.

You do not commit to a role unless you intend to do it, if you think you may do it but aren't sure you tell the agent yes on principle but I need to go through the contract before I make my final decision.
        All this talk about no ethics is a bit rich...

Personally I would stick to what I said...but to expect everyone to stick to that is completely unrealistic...

We live in a world where 95% of people look after no1 and don't give a sh1t about anyone else....If you expect more you'll always be disappointed...

But then I'm a pessamistic old git....

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          I used to say that I would do the first contract offered. I'm changing that now. From now on I'll do the first contract i sign. Signing depends on the Job, the rate, the location and the T&C's in the contract. After the interview, you usually know about parts 1, 2, 3 but not 4. Until I get a contract which meets all 4 I will consider myself still available.
          What are "the T&C's in the contract" ?

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by kesm View Post
            What are "the T&C's in the contract" ?

thank you
            I'll be kind and not laugh too much. "terms and conditions".

Unless you want him/her to cut&paste the T&Cs here?

Comment

hahahaha!

Yeah, you can go ahead and laugh, I did, when I saw that T&C was Terms and Conditions

Comment

Name and Shame agency
                Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Name and shame the Terms and Conditions!

Comment

Working...
                  X